chapter twelve

━━ CHAPTER TWELVE / its a trap

The entire day had been filled with tension. Poe had only been gone a few hours before he returned and he seemed to be in an even worse mood than before. Eliana didn't know what to say, so she didn't say anything. She sat on her datapad and continued her research. She had managed to get access to some data logs through the Investor's comms and it was interesting, useful. Leia would be pleased and that's all that was pushing her forward.

They had to meet the Investor and pretend to be a couple but they weren't even looking at each other. Eliana was worried but she didn't say anything. There was nothing else she could think to say. She had never been all that good at conflict resolution. She could argue her case well but if people didn't understand, she wouldn't try. People rarely tried to understand others and she didn't even know how to start with Poe.

It was only when she couldn't get the zip of her dress up that they spoke again. He approached without saying a word and took a gentle hold of her wrists. He placed her hands back down by her sides and then gently zipped up her dress. His touch lingered and she let her eyes close, enjoying the feeling for the brief moment she had it.

"Thank you," She mumbled softly. He just nodded his head in response and went back to getting ready himself. It was not a formal event, she knew that but every meeting whether they were in apartments or offices required some formality. Which is why Eliana had opted for a dress. It was nowhere near as formal or gorgeous as the red one she had worn to the soiree but it suited the occasion. She hoped.

"I have a lead to follow up once we are finished at the apartment," Poe said. Eliana nodded, not finding a verbal response necessary. He then returned back to the task at hand and laced his shoes up. But before Eliana could say anything, there was a knock at the hotel door. Her eyebrows furrowed together and she walked over.

It could be the housekeeper. The poor woman had started knocking to avoid any awkward situation but it was far too late to be here. Eliana couldn't think who could possibly be at the door and so, she opened it. A forced smile on her face.

Relya stood on the other side and Eliana's face dropped in an instant. Poe looked up from his shoes and his face dropped too, though for a very different reason. Eliana tilted her head slightly, raising a questioning eyebrow.

"Hi." Nothing else seemed to want to come out of her throat and she even stuttered over that single word. Relya glanced to Poe and then back at Eliana.

"I have an urgent matter we need to discuss," Relya purposefully kept her words vague but it only served to confuse Eliana more. She glanced back at Poe and he had turned his gaze back to his shoes. He didn't look pleased.

"We have plans to attend to, Senator. Would we be able to discuss this matter in the morning?" Eliana asked. She had to be diplomatic and she tried to make her face somewhat neutral but the panic seemed to have seeped into her look. She would not have minded Relya's appearance if the argument earlier hadn't occurred. If she was blind to Poe's dislike of the woman then Eliana would have happily invited her in for a conversation but she wasn't so blind.