chapter nine

━━ CHAPTER NINE / say it again

As the sun climbed the familiar sky, Eliana was rushing to get ready. She had unintentionally overslept and was dangerously close to missing her first meeting with the First Order investors. It was important. She couldn't miss it and the adrenaline had carried her through her morning routine. She had done it in half the time she usually had to and left to head to the Senate.

But as she stormed down the Senate corridors, she ran right into the one person that she had been avoiding all week. Relya. She was dressed in a more casual manner. Her hair cascaded over her shoulders and the first thought that ran through Eliana's head was 'she looks gorgeous'. But before it could fester, Eliana pushed it down.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to-" Eliana bumbled, trying to get her words out coherently but Relya cut her off with a wave of her hand.

"You're just the person I wanted to see," There was a crooked smile on her face. It used to made Eliana melt, that smile. It was still gorgeous, she could admit that but it didn't have the same effect it used to. Relya wasn't the same.

"What? I don't-" Eliana tried to keep up her identity but Relya cut her off again.

"Eliana, drop the act. Nobody is around." Eliana glanced around and Relya was right. There was nobody around. It was just the two of them in the corridor together. Back in the Senate, face-to-face. This was the worst case scenario. Not only had Relya recognised her but had approached her, intentional or not. Now, she was stuck facing her old lover with no idea how to handle the situation and the feelings that bubbled at the surface.

"Don't call me that," Eliana said. Her voice was soft, lacking any real conviction. Relya had a way of circumventing all of Eliana's emotions unlike Poe who often received the harsh end of the stick when Eliana was frustrated at him.

"Why are you here under a fake name?" Relya asked, crossing her arms over her chest. She always looked so regal, even dressed down. Her eyes were the most gorgeous shade of brown, like chocolate. Warm and comforting. Eliana snapped her gaze off of Relya's face.

"Business with the Resistance." It was a snappy response. Eliana knew time was of the essence. She didn't have the time to be distracted or to even have this conversation. She needed to leave, get to the meeting.

"Leia sent you here? Really?" There was a tone of disbelief and Eliana nodded her head. There wasn't a need to verbally respond. Eliana was looking around, checking for anyone. Her eyes were frantic. Relya knew that she needed to be somewhere but didn't have the heart to care. A conversation with Eliana was more important to Relya than wherever she had to be. "Why?" She asked. Eliana scoffed and moved her gaze back to Relya's face.

"I can't tell you," Eliana said it like it was the most obvious thing. But Relya wasn't offended. Sometimes Eliana had a tone like that, it was never malicious. She just didn't understand why people asked stupid questions. Relya had long learnt that about the brunette.