Chapter Nineteen

I was in the pool with Robin. She and I were wading in the deep end together and talking about the other night when I punched Billy in the face. I looked to my right and saw Eddie standing on the lawn with Steve, watching Robin and I in the pool. I waved at him and he smiled back at me.

"Have you seen him since that night?" Robin asked.

I shook my head. "Luckily no. But I'm afraid of what he might do when I do finally see him. You know he's not going to let me get away with decking him in the face."

Robin nodded. "Billy's temper is scary."

Suddenly, someone gripped onto my ankle underwater. My eyes widened and I looked over to where Eddie had been standing and noticed he was gone. Okay, I told myself, it's just Eddie playing a joke on me.

The grip on my ankle tightened as my head sunk down under the water and my body was being pulled down to the bottom of the pool. I twisted my torso to look at who it was, expecting to see Eddie. The face that looked back at me was Billy. He was smiling sinisterly, holding onto my ankle and refusing to let go. I screamed and tried to wriggle away from him, kicking my legs as hard as I could, but he was too strong. I could feel myself gasp for air only to have water begin to fill my lungs. Billy was laughing as he watched me squirm, still attached to him. I tried to yell for Eddie but nothing was coming out.

"Cas! Cas?!" I could hear Eddie calling for me and I tried to call back to him but it wasn't working. I was starting to feel dizzy and a blackness was starting to form in my peripheral vision.

"Cas!" Eddie called again.

"Cas, wake up!" Eddie was shaking me as I started to regain consciousness.

I swiftly sat up, tears streaming down my cheeks as I looked over and saw Eddie sitting next to me. I started to cry more when I realized he was next to me. He grabbed me and pulled me into him. My shoulders shook as I sobbed in his arms. I didn't remember I had stayed over at Eddie's last night until I woke up in his room.

He cradled the back of my head in his hand and held me against his chest. "It's okay. You're okay." He whispered as he held me tightly.

I started to pull away from him to wipe the tears from my eyes. "What happened?" I asked him. I knew I had been having a bad dream, but I didn't know how he knew.

"You were yelling my name and I saw you crying in your sleep." Eddie explained. "Was it Billy?"

I nodded and felt a few more tears slip. "He was trying to drown me in the pool. I couldn't get away from him and I tried calling for you but..." I trailed off.

"I'm never going to let him hurt you." Eddie said, pulling me back into him. "You know that, right?"

I nodded, relaxing into Eddie's chest. My anxiety over Billy was growing each day and it was starting to consume me.

"C'mon," Eddie squeezed me before letting go. "Steve's party is starting soon. We should get ready."

I sighed as I stood up from the bed and went over to my overnight bag to grab what I needed for Steve's party. Steve had a pool, and even though I knew Billy wasn't going to be there, I still felt anxious about the idea of water after having almost drowned in my dreams.

                                                                                      ******

It was the perfect August day to have Steve's birthday party. I was hoping that some fun with my friends would make me forget about Billy and the trouble that I knew I was still in with him. He wasn't going to just give up that easily and I feared I would never be done with him.