Chapter Eight

Unfortunately I had to work the morning shift at the pool on Wednesday but luckily, Vanessa was working the afternoon shift today which meant no Billy. I don't know if I could have handled just the thought of Billy showing up to work today knowing that I had my date with Eddie later on tonight. I couldn't stop debating in my head what I was going to wear and wondering what he had planned. He told me before we left Skull Rock the other day that he wanted to surprise me.

"Cassie..." John looked up at me from the bottom of the lifeguard chair.

"John..." I responded back in the same tone as him. We both laughed.

"How many more times am I going to catch you daydreaming up there instead of watching the pool?" He playfully scolded.

I rolled my eyes and smiled. I descended the steps of the lifeguard chair and hopped off the bottom step onto the gravelly pavement. "I can't help it." I could feel myself start to blush as I thought of my future date with Eddie.

"A boy?" John guessed. He really did know me better than anyone, including Robin.

I sighed. "Yes... I'm going on a date tonight."

John's eyes widened as his face formed into a look of surprise. "Oh... Anyone I know?" He was such a gossip and I lived for it.

I was hesitant to say who it was because a lot of people I knew were quick to judge Eddie just because of how he dressed but I had a feeling John would be happy for me no matter what. I also have a feeling John may have dabbled in that scene back in the day when he was my age. "Uh," I continued to hesitate. "Eddie Munson?" I posed it as a question and I'm not sure why.

"The Munson boy?" John responded back.

"Yes?" I responded again in question form. John was silent for a moment and I worried what he might say.

"Well," He pondered. "You know what everyone says about that Munson boy." Here we go. John was going to scold me for going out with a "bad boy". "But," John continued. "I don't think he's all that bad. Reminds me a little of myself when I was that age and I didn't turn out all that bad."

I sighed in relief. "He won't tell me where he's taking me tonight. He said he wanted it to be a surprise."

John raised an eyebrow at me. "You have my number if you need me." He nudged my arm with his elbow. "But I trust you won't need me. I'm sure you two will have a good time tonight."

I sure hoped Eddie and I would have fun tonight. I was nervous; I was excited; I was anxious; I was scared that I was getting into something new too soon. But things had felt differently with Eddie since the beginning. I couldn't explain it, but something just felt right about this budding romance with him.

As the time got closer for Vanessa to take over the afternoon shift, I saw her exit the locker room and start to walk over to the lifeguard chair. I hopped down from my seat and waved to her. "Hey, Vanessa!"

She gave me a weird disgusted glare and I was confused as to why she was giving me a cold shoulder. I barely talked to her in the first place so she had no reason not to like me. "Um, hey..." I said again as she passed by me and started to climb up to the lifeguard chair.

"Just go home, Cas." She said as she took her seat at the top of the short ladder that led to the lifeguard chair. What was her deal? I couldn't figure out why she didn't like me, unless... Billy. Were Billy and Vanessa hooking up? Probably. Had he said something nasty about me to her? Most definitely. He had it out for me and I still don't understand why. He was the one who treated me like shit. I was nothing but nice to him even when he was treating me like I was the dirt underneath his shoes.

I hurried to the locker room to grab my stuff and head home. I would just shower when I got home anyway since I had my date with Eddie later on. My house had an outdoor shower which was one of the coolest things to have in the summer. I needed to start getting myself half ready because I was going to go to Nancy's to finish getting ready with her and Robin. I didn't want my mom to know where I was actually going so I lied to her and told her I was sleeping over at Nancy's tonight.

I wrapped a towel around myself and started to walk across the deck towards the shower. I was humming 'R U Mine' by Arctic Monkeys to myself as I stepped down onto the large stepping stones that led to the door of the shower. I grabbed the latch and opened the door but screamed at what I saw.

"What the fuck are you doing in there?!" I exclaimed. When I opened the door, I saw Eddie in my shower.

"Uh, hiding?" He responded.

I stood there dumbfounded and clutching onto my towel around myself. "Hiding from what?"

Eddie stood there awkwardly. "Uh, I was... I was playing a big game of hide and seek with Dustin?"

I looked up at the sky and wondered where my sanity had gone. "And you thought my shower was a good place to hide out?"

Eddie shrugged. "Well, yeah. He'd never find me in here. And you... you... uh... you're...you're uh..." Eddie gawked at me standing in front of him with just a towel around my body.

"Get out, Eddie." I grabbed his shoulder and pushed him out of the shower. "I'll see you tonight." I closed the door between us. I waited for a moment before taking my towel off and starting the shower because I wanted to make sure he was gone first. The last thing I expected before my date was to find my date in my shower hiding from a young teenage boy that he was playing hide and seek with. Eddie truly was nothing like any other guy I'd ever known.