Chapter 9

She looked away again, walking around to check out everything in the store. She would occasionally glance in Enid's direction to see if their distance between each other was enough. The shopkeeper then called them both over, "I need you two to brush their furs, keeps them looking nice and clean. Now run along, I have chaga brewing and I need to watch over it." Wednesday and Enid exchanged a look with each other, before going to the shelf and taking some rats down.

Enid was brushing it the wrong way, making it look even worse than it was when it was slightly matted. Speaking or even interacting with Enid was the least of her priorities, but she spoke up. "You're doing it wrong. It's making the fur look filthy."

Enid looked pissed, "You finally have something to say to me and it's about dead rats?"

"I wouldn't even be next to you if we weren't partners for this mandated work. I'm just informing you of it so when she comes around to look at them, they won't look half as bad than they already do- not that I don't enjoy when they look dead."

"Well deal with it, I don't have to listen to you, Wednesday. The world doesn't revolve around you." Enid snapped back quickly. "If you cared more about being a goth loner, this wouldn't be happening!" She shoved Wednesday back into the wooden and glass shelf with the styled, dead rodents. Enid forgot her own strength as a werewolf and ended up pushing her harder than intended.

Wednesday felt herself lose her balance and fall into the shelf, hitting her head on the wooden part and knocking it over. Her and the shelf both fell to the ground. Although Wednesday was fine for the most part, the shelf had fell. The glass had shattered, the wooden half had broken off, and the dead rodents were back in their original state; they were scattered on the floor.

She gasped, watching the shelf fall. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry! Let me help you up!" Enid exclaimed. Wednesday refused her help, pushing her arm away. Still on the floor, she kicked Enid's leg, causing her to fall to the floor as well. She used her bloody hands to push herself back to her feet. "I don't need your help. You're the one who did all this."

The shopkeeper had a shocked expression on her face, and immediately ran to lock the door, then back to the phone. She dialed 3 numbers.

"Two outcasts from Nevermore have gone wild at Uriah's Heap! Send someone!" The shopkeeper screamed, terrified.

The shopkeeper ran to grab one of the broken pieces of wood that slid away on the floor and stood there, keeping her guard up in case one of the outcasts, who weren't even remotely focused on her, tried something.

Wednesday bore into Enid, "Now we're really going to get in trouble with Principal Weems, and you have no one to blame but yourself.." Wednesday towered over her, Enid backed away before standing back up.

"This isn't just my fault, you shouldn't have made me angry." Enid tried to argue back, but to avail. Wednesday couldn't care less if she was right or wrong, which made it all pointless.

"You should control your emotions better." That's all Wednesday could say before the two of them heard sirens slowly getting louder.

The police banged on the door, "Open up!" The shopkeeper immediately going to unlock and open the door. Turns out it was the chief. She was babbling the story to him, sounding terrified. Of course, with Nevermore already having a bad reputation, their guns were immediately pointed at both Wednesday and Enid.

"Don't point that at me unless you're planning to actually shoot." Wednesday just stood there, calm and collected as ever. Meanwhile Enid was the complete opposite, she raised her hands straight up. A mixture of guilt and anxiety churning inside her, she knew they were in big trouble now.

One officer carefully approached the girls and handcuffed them while the other pointed the gun directly at Wednesday. She took this as a compliment. It meant she looked more unapproachable and dangerous.