Chapter 8

A week went by, and it was all the same. Miserable torture, even for Wednesday's standards, every day. Wednesday was just falling more and more into a downward spiral of questioning herself.

As she walked out of her dorm in the morning, the obnoxious Principal Weems had everyone gather. "Hello, everyone! We are going to be heading to Jericho square for outreach day. Make sure to stay out of trouble, volunteer where you're meant to volunteer, and treat your partner with respect! You all know the drill other than the new student." Principal Weems seemed to look directly at Wednesday, smiling. Wednesday glared back, when she looked down at her paper she realized she was going to be forced to participate in the most excruciating, least favorite activity that she could possibly be able to do. Socialize. At least it was her kind of store; Uriah's Heap. But she realized she hadn't looked at her partner yet. She had hoped the annoying, cheerful Principal Weems had considered her own needs of being alone, but her partner was the worst choice she could've picked. Enid.

Principal Weems returned the same glare, "I'm always paying attention. This is a chance to repair your relationship!" she said cheerfully and with a smile.

Cheerful? Why would Wednesday want that?

"This is where you and I differ, Weems. There is nothing to be repaired. You do not need to insert yourself into my private affairs. It is over, Enid and I will not be interacting in the future."

"I didn't ask what you wanted, Ms. Addams. This is not up for discussion." Weems solemnly explained, "And remember, you and her have to get along for the rest of the day. I don't want to be hearing from the authorities about any trouble you're causing."

They boarded the buses and Wednesday made sure to sit as far from Enid as possible, wondering if she knew they were partners. As all the kids went to their respective jobs for the day it looked like total mayhem. Wednesday worked through the students and into Uriah's Heap. This place wasn't creepy. At all. She wondered why so many people thought it was. As she was looking at all the dead decorations, a certain someone walked through the door. Wednesday expected Enid to say something to her but she walked right past, side-eyeing her, and going to the shopkeeper.

"Hello! I'm Enid and I'll be volunteering for you today." There it was, that bubbly personality that Wednesday was unused to at this point. It seemed that now, it was even more intolerable.