KABANATA 30 - Others Call It Quits

Pandemixxxe: It's me! Bare with my ungrammatical sentences, too busy to edit. Thank you for your patience! Stay safe always<3!

***

I watched the image of the four men in suit fades as our car gets farther away from the scene earlier. As soon as the goons had been caught, Wren bid his goodbye to those four with a nod and hold me by the hand to leave that place. He said he'll take me somewhere safer.

Nawala ang tingin ko sa rearview mirror nang marinig ang ginawang pagsuntok ni Wren sa steeringwheel.

“Wren?” tawag ko sa kanya. His body stiffened at the sound of my voice, he seemed disoriented. Kanina pa madilim ang mukha niya.

He said he became a bodyguard because of peer pressure. But I don't think those four are bodyguards. No, I should have known this before when I went to Joaquin's house.

Inis niyang sinuntok muli ang steeringwheel ng sasakyan. Nagitla ako dahil doon. He can't go on driving with thhis mood.

“Wren?” I called him again at mas binilisan niya pa ang pagpapatakbo.

“Wren?!” I shouted, but he doesn't listen. I hold his arm and gripped it tightly. “Wren! Stop the car! We're going to die if you'll continue to drive like that!”

Nilingon niya ako at nakita ko ang biglaang pamumutla ng mukha niya. Binagalan niya ang takbo at sa huli ay ginilid ang sasakyan namin. Nang makahinto ay napahilamos siya. I watched as his shoulders went up and down with his face covered by his hands. Then he gripped the steeringwheel again and sighed heavily before turning to look at me withh tenderness in his eyes.

“Did I scare you?” he asked. His voice were rasped. I shook my head and smiled faintly. I ain't scared, I was just buffled at the way he's reacting right now. I have never seen him like this. Disoriented, angry... guilty...?

“I’m sorry.” My hands flied to my chest and mouth fell open. He saved me. Why would he be sorry?

“W-why? You're the one who saves me—I... there's nothing to be sorry about,” I said lowering my voice and took off my seatbelt to fully face him.

“B-but I'm the one who put y-you in danger t-too....” His voice crackes at the end of his sentence. I fought the urge to cupped his face because I'm still confused of everything he's saying. How did he put me in danger when he has been the one who keeps saving me from death.

“You see...,” he faced me with his body. The time when I noticed he hasn't been wearing his seatbelt. It is good to know that I managed him to stopped driving or else... I shook my head lightly to drive away that thought. “My job isn't really a bodyguard. But I am a secret agent of International Investigation Agency who were task to eradicate the Ardiente Mafia. My mission is to guard you and catch the ones after you. Today I used you to lure the mafia out. I-i thought that way you will have no worries about going out... I decided on my own without consulting you. I put your life at stake. I'm sorry, I truly am sorry....” I lowered my gaze to my lap.

I knew something was off with him, his friend, and his work. He lied... and so did I too...

“Would you stay by my side if there wasn't a mafia involve?” I asked. I was too ashamed to even raised my head to face him.

“No...

I mean before. But not now, I won't leave your side. No, not anymore....” I smiled hearing those words. Call me a coward for wanting to hear his confirmation without confessing to what I did first. I already lose everything. I don't think I'll go out sane if I lose him too.

I bit my lower lip. “I lied,” I said and raised my head to faced the big question mark on his face. “I made the threats up. It wasn't the Ardiente, but me. I made all the threats. Even the name Ardiente Mafia, I wasn't even aware if that exist—”