KABANATA 04- The Beauty Goddess

The buzzing sound of nosy students lining up at each side of the hallway was music to my ear.

I knew they were talking about me, the 2nd year student dubbed as the beauty goddess of the College of Interior Design. No, let me rephrase it…

the Goddess of Quinsworth University!

I smiled to myself nang parami na nang parami ang mga nakikiisyoso. Nangunot ang noo ko nang makita ang isang estudyanteng babae na nakahilera kasama ng ibang estudyante na sumusulyap sakin. Nilapitan ko siya.

“Naghilamos ka ba ng uling?” I asked and watched as her eyes becomes wider. “Because you look uglier than usual,” dagdag ko pa. Napanganga siya. If she's attempting to do smokey eye kind of makeup, then she failed miserably!

Nalukot ang mukha niya at naiiyak na tumalikod at tumakbo palayo takip-takip ang mukha. Nang tumingin ako sa paligid ay nasalubong ko ang masasamang titig ng iba pang estudyante samantalang ang iba naman ay natatawa.

“Pfft—I can't! Hahah.”
“Her tongue has no break. Few words, but she just ruined someone's confidence....”
“Maybe she thinks she's the only one who could pull that kind of makeup off.”

Pinagkibit-balikat ko nalang ang mga bulungan sa paligid at nagsimula muling maglakad. Napahinto akong muli. Because to my dismay, I saw Amy, my rival at everything. Kahit never pa naman niya kong natalo sa kahit na anong larangan.

It’s good that I took much more time making myself look pretty and presentable, no matter how late I have arrived here.

Bored akong nakipagtitigan sa kanya. I have no time for another asungot. Buti nalang hindi na sumunod hanggang dito ang bodyguard kuno ko.

Later, he'll be bodyguard-no-more. That thought made me smirk unconsciously. Napansin ko nalang ang unti-unting pag-usok ng ilong ni Amy at pamumula ng mukha niya sa inis.

Oops, I didn't mean to offend her with that smirk. But guess who cares? No one!

“F-for y-you….” Hinarap ko ang pinanggalingan ng boses na iyon. Tumambad sakin ang lalaking naka-button-up na uniporme at hati sa gitna ang pagkakaayos ng buhok.

Narinig ko ang pagpadyak ni Amy sa inggit kaya kinuha ko ang tsokolateng inaabot ng lalaki. Lalo tuloy lumakas ang bulungan sa paligid.

“Another collection to her list of boys.”
“Wala na talagang pinapalampas....”

Napabuntong hininga ako.

“Your name?” tanong ko. I snapped my fingers right in front of his face to pull him back to reality, which made him blink to consciousness. I rolled my eyes.

“I-i’m Scott—”

“Thank you Scott,” I said right before I started walking, but I came to a halt when he spoke again in a quiet tone.

“C-can y-you be my p-prom date?” I grinned at him sarcastically while narrowing my eyes.

“Don’t push your luck, Scott,” I muttered and then walked away.

Our professor dismissed the class five minutes after I walked into the room. Even though I knew I was way too late, I still dared to enter. Knowing that they wouldn't dare condemn me because my father was one of the university's largest stockholders.

I heard the scraping noise when Bessie carried her chair closer to mine. “You’re soo late, girl!” she exclaimed while her gaze is fixed on the screen of her phone.

She may be watching some k-pop meme content again, for all I know.

“Pero buti na lang nakauwi ka nang ligtas—”