KABANATA 26 - The Little Things We Do In Life

Ilang minuto narin akong paikot-ikot lang dito sa loob ng kuwarto na inihanda ni Wren. Ayon sa kanya ay maghahapunan na, pero wala naman akong dress na dala for dinner.

Natigil ako nang makarinig ng marahang pagkatok. "Coming!" sigaw ko.

Sumilip muna ako sa salamin at siniguro na maayos ang hitsura ko bago harapin kung sino man ang nasa pinto. Tumambad sa akin ang naka-puting t-shirt at faded jeans na si Wren. A small calming smile sprouted on his face.

"Ready?" he asked, and I shook my head which made his eyebrows meet.

"I don't think I'll ever be ready...," alanganing sagot ko at pagkaraa'y niluwangan ang pagkakabukas ng pinto. Pumasok siya at inilibot ang mata sa kabuuan ng kuwarto.

Hinarap niya ako at tila nahihiyang napahagod ng batok niya. "Is this too small?" tanong nito.

Lumipad ang mga kamay ko sa ere at iwinagayway iyon. "No, no... it's not that," pagkumbinsi ko.

Yes, the room and the bed were a bit small compared to what I'm used to, but I am not in the place to complain. They helped me more than too much, I should be grateful, and I am.

"Ahm... it's about the dinner...," paliwanag ko sa kanya at napakagat sa ibabang bahagi ng labi ko. Pinanood kong pumaling ang ulo niya sa pagtataka.

"What about it?" tanong niya. I sighed and sat on the bed while his gaze followed me.

"I don't have formal dress for the dinner... I didn't get to take my dresses from the mansion before I left. So...," sabi ko habang pinaglalaruan ang mga daliri ko. Even though I don't live in Ishioka's mansion anymore, having dinner in a formal dress is what I used to do in the past years of my life. Not being able to do that makes me feel uncomfortable, especially thinking that it is my first dinner with my boyfriend's Mom.

"But you don't have to-" Unti-unting pumatag ang lukot sa noo niya at nagpatango-tango. "Oh! I get it," dugtong niya pa.

"I'll find dress for you," sabi nito at nagmamadaling umalis. Agad akong napatayo para tawagin siya.

Lumingon ito sa akin nang ang isang kamay niya ay nakahawak sa hamba ng pinto. "Thank you," sabi ko.

He tried to stop his smile but failed and ended up with a sound, 'pissshhh'.

His smile tickled my stomach, and unknowingly, my mouth curved into a smile before he nodded his head and finally went out of the room.

My smile remained even though the cause of it already went out, feeling defeated, I buried my face in a pillow while giggling and rolling around.

I took a bath and wore the dress Wren sent. I thought he would send it himself, but I only saw their maid. When I asked her where Wren was, she just shook and bowed her head instead of answering.

My finger traces the square neckline to the puffed sleeves of the dress I am wearing. The hem was just below my knee, and the fabric was white silk. The dress looks vintage. I love the way it moves as I sway. I wore my hair down and put no makeup on. I'm beginning to love the feel of my bare face, how I feel lighter without it, how I feel a bit freer. I will still put on makeup, but I don't feel the need to do it as of now.

I went out of the bathroom exactly when I heard the knocks on my door, and as I opened it, I saw Wren in his black suit and long hair, brushed up and tucked behind his ear. I blinked multiple times and stared at him for a good amount of time, with no words to say 'cause I feel like he had stolen my voice the moment I opened the door, and for the record, he just stared at me too.

I faked a cough that brought him back to consciousness. "You look-no. I was about to say you look beautiful, but then I figured out the right way to describe you," he said. My eyebrows raised expectantly at what he was about to say next. "You look like someone who descended from heaven," dugtong niya.