KABANATA 05- Another Person to the List

“By the way, thank you for taking me home last night….” I said without looking at my bodyguard.

“That would never happen again,” I added, causing him to flinch. 

I grew up not asking for a favor from anyone. Ayoko rin na nagkakaroon ng utang na loob sa kahit na kanino. In that way, I could fire him without conscience.

After class, I went to d'Evreux, my favorite boutique. After three hours of strolling with my bodyguard, I still couldn't decide whether to wear the strawberry dress or the sparkly mesh one.

I shook my head and shrugged my shoulders. I threw them to my bodyguard after realizing that I didn't have to pick when I could buy both of them.

His broad yet clean brows met and gave me a bored look before returning the garments to me.

“What are you—”

“That’s not my job,” he said in his monotonous voice, unafraid of my arching brow. I can feel the agony in my heart from having to put up with his attitude problem.

Huminga ako nang malalim para pakalmahin ang sarili ko. Pagkaraa'y matamis na ngumiti sa kanya. “Too heavy...,” sabi ko pa at muling bumuntong hininga. I know this will work, this always does the work for me.

Pero nanatiling walang emosyon lang siyang nakatingin sa akin. Sinuklay ko ang buhok ko gamit ang mga daliri ko and I smiled sweetly infront of him. If this doesn't have an effect on him... he might be a living rock!

The corner of my lips twitched as he remain bored looking.

“And who do you expect would carry those? Me?!” I threw the dresses back to him. Flustered, I dramatically walk away.

Pero agad rin akong bumalik sa kanya. Hindi niya ata iyon inaasahan dahil napahakbang siya palayo sa akin.

“What’s your name?” I asked while my heart was pounding furiously. I intended to curse him to death to release my anger, but I must know his name first.

I stared at him with my eyes wide open as if any moment now, I would not be able to hold myself and throw everything I saw. He sighed in defeat.

“Wren,” he replied.

“Spell it,” I commanded. I want to curse the right person. So, it is necessary to know how he spelled it.

“W-r-e-n,” he followed. Oh, Wren! You are a jerk! A prick! The asshole of all the assholes! I cursed mentally multiple times as I rolled my eyes at him.

“I’ll take everything on display!” I exclaimed.

All of the sales clerks approached me with huge smiles that revealed all of their teeth. I smirked, seeing the peso sign forming in their eyes. 

“He’s the only one I trust. So… only him would carry those!” I pointed at Wren, whose slanted eyes were now wide from disbelief. I answered him with a sarcastic grin and arms crossed.

This is one of my schemes for making his life a living hell until he surrendered. I vowed from the very beginning that I would never accept a bodyguard at hindi parin nagbabago ang desisyon ko.

I sighed when I felt the satisfaction of seeing him struggle from carrying the pile of paper bags while there are still some more being thrown at him by the sales clerk.

“Wait for me here. I’ll just go to the bathroom.” I gestured him to stop, right when he's about to open his mouth to protest.

“What? You'll go with me to the women's bathroom?” I emphasized the word women, and left without waiting for an answer.