Chapter 8

His hands rested on either side of her. They weren't touching, but they would be if she moved.

"I—I suppose so. I wanted to see the moon." MJ pointed toward one of the windows. It felt stupid to say it out loud, for that to be the reason she was sneaking around. She fought to control her breathing.

Simon looked over his shoulder at the illuminated window and back at her face. He could tell she was fighting her racing heart and he wished for any way to discern whether it was excitement or fear. He hadn't asked her permission, not really, but she had pulled him closer anyway. He licked his lips. He was full of hesitation, but he fought it like he did anything else. As though it didn't exist.

"I'm going out. Come with me."

He pushed away from the door and stood in font of her. But she, she stood on the edge of a cliff unsure if she could survive the jump. Because kissing him, seeing him like this, there was no going back to believing that she was just a player in their little game. She was just coming to terms with the fact that her life as she knew it was over, she was fighting through every shadow of what Halcon had done to her, she hadn't expected to feel anything but the survival she had battled for. She had known all of the soldiers around her to be totally focused, Simon included. But here he was, looking only at her, speaking only to her. She shook it off. It wasn't so deep. If it were, he wouldn't have given her his face so easily.

He had asked her to go with him. Her thoughts finally came together enough for her to answer. "Go with you? Don't you leave early?"

"Sunrise." His face was back to blank, but there was still a hint of a smile in his voice.

She stood up, off the wall. "Alright. I'll go." She didn't bother asking where. She was surprised at herself, she chided herself for sounding so eager.

He nodded once. He turned back to the room and put the gun that he had been fiddling with back on the rack. She just watched him, wondering then if she might be better off turning and leaving. It felt like a dream. If she treated it like a dream, then she could wake up tomorrow and meet him in the night with his unsmoked cigarette and speak like coworkers and forget this ever happened.

But that wasn't possible, because he was leaving at sunrise and because every time she shut her eyes, all she could see was his face. Nothing was going to erase that.

Just before exiting, he reached into his back pocket and pulled out his mask. The damned thing had been there the entire time. Her cheeks heated uncomfortably. He could have easily hid his face before even turning to her, but he had chosen not to.

She followed him out the door, shutting it behind her and jogging a few steps to catch up to him as he walked into a row of vehicles. Her curiosity was quickly outweighing the shock of what happened inside.

"Where are we going?" She asked quietly.

He turned down a row and stopped next to a truck with a wide, covered bed. "I like to go out before we leave." He motioned for her to come to him and opened the door to help her inside. She watched him as he walked around the front and got in to drive.

She had a hundred questions in her mind, like if he were allowed to leave, or if it would be a problem that she went with him. Or if anyone would see them together. But she trusted him. He knew what he was doing.

He looked into the rearview mirror as they reversed. "The stars reminds me that I'm small, that I can only affect so much." She nodded. "And I like them." She watched his face but once again it gave her very little. His words, though, gave her quite a lot. He sounded so human.