Chapter 2

The men reentered the base through the garage. Simon went directly to the office of his superior to talk, John Mactavish in tow.

"You two again." Price said, taking a seat behind his desk.

Simon glanced sideways at his second. John hadn't had anything to do with it, but he didn't speak up or back down. "Yes sir."

"Tell me."

"I entered Halcon's residence in anticipation of his return, as planned. Found an American woman chained to the wall."

"And?"

Simon shifted slightly. "And, she was not in a good way. She warned me that Halcon had promised to return. I removed her before he could."

"Seems you also removed yourself then."

John straightened slightly but Simon didn't move. "I don't generally put innocents in my line of fire. Sir." No answer. "Besides, seems her existence, her appearance here, might change some things."

"Hmm." Price looked down and shuffled things about on his desk before standing. "You disobeyed orders, but, off the record, I can't condemn it." He moved around the desk to lean against it and speak to the men, arms crossed. "However, now that you've put your hands in it, I'm inclined to make you clean up the mess."

Simon grimaced at the man calling this girl a mess. "How so?"

"That, I don't know. Not yet. This is now an international incident, and one we may be able to use to our advantage. Until I know more, it's your job to get her talking. She's American, we know that much. That doesn't mean she's an ally."

Ghost felt John suck in a breath to protest, so he cut him off. "John's not a part of this. I chose on my own."

The statement was ignored. "Go."

The men turned and walked out. When the door closed behind them, John leaned in to speak quietly.

"Half naked, mostly starved, grown into her chains. That's how they treat their spies now, is it?"

Ghost didn't answer. They walked until they reached the hall.

"They'll bench all of us over this." He said.

"Is that an apology?"

"I'm not sorry for anything." He glanced around, making sure they were alone. "But if I just uncovered something..."

"Surely they didn't know she was in there, not if the plan was for you to go in."

Ghost shrugged. "They knew more than we did."

John nodded. He felt it, too. "I know."

Simon left the other man and went back to the med bay. Get her talking. At this point, all he cared about was that no one talk to her before he got a chance, and not before she was up to it. What she was going through now was not superficial, it was not simply hunger or physical pain. He approached the large window that looked into the room. He could see Mariana alone near the middle, small and covered in blankets. Rossi came out to greet him. She was an excellent soldier and someone he knew he could trust. She had to be to have this kind of authority over their bodies and their lives.

"Riley." She greeted him.

"Rossi." He said, shaking her hand. "How is she?"

"Price sent you, didn't he." It wasn't a question.

She turned and looked in, same as him. Simon Riley was intimidating but she had never been one to take things at face value. In her line of work, she couldn't.