Chapter 15

They laid in silence for a long time, skin to skin, both knowing the other was still wide awake. Both knowing it was a fragile calm.

MJ had ignored the fact that she was crying again. It felt strangely out of her control and she just let it happen. She was struggling, anyway, to grasp what had just happened and that she was laying beside him in bed at all.
He stayed quiet. She ran her hand mindlessly over his body, running gentle fingers over jagged scars. He hated them. Most of them had been inflicted after his capture, and he hated that his mind could heal while his body never really would. He would always look in the mirror and be reminded. If he looked in the mirror. He found that he often preferred not to. But her touch was soothing and he didn’t mind if she felt them. He didn’t mind if she knew he had suffered.

She could feel the raised skin under her soft hands and she savored it. Every inch of him was something she didn’t want to forget. She knew he wasn’t proud of them, that they must be reminders of some horror from his past, but they were also reminders that he had survived. She was grateful for that.

MJ was at a total crossroads. Whatever this moment between them meant was greatly outweighed by the knowledge that she might soon be dangled in front of her own captors like a piece of meat. She still didn’t want to tell him. She wasn’t sure what this moment was, what any of the previous had been, but she didn’t want to ruin it.

Simon, however, grew tired of her weighty silence. “MJ.”

“Hmm?” She didn’t raise her eyes to him. He should be careful, saying her name like that. She kept trailing her hand over his cool skin.

“What’s on your mind?” He had asked her that before, last time they had shared a moment.

She swallowed the familiar lump in her throat. She had been raw with him then. Honest in a way she hadn’t known was safe. But she learned it was. Now she had no excuse.

She pushed away from him, laying on her back.

She stared at the ceiling with unseeing eyes. “Captain Price came to me.”

She swallowed again. She was afraid to go on. She didn’t want him angry, even though it likely wouldn’t be directed at her. She lay between him and the wall. He lay between her and the world. She didn’t want to give him a reason to move.

“About what?”
She liked his voice. It was rough, she imagined he probably had to speak low a lot, that maybe he had to yell a lot. She imagined it would sound smoother if he warmed it up, used it more often. She wished they could talk about something else.

“About your mission. His plan if it’s successful.”

“Why would he worry you about that?”

She felt like he already knew what she was going to say. She worried her bottom lip for a moment. “He said that there would be an opportunity…” She trailed off, searching for a better way to put it. “He thinks that if you’re successful, then the family would be more interested in me. That you all could use that to your advantage.”

Simon kept still in a way he had trained years to perfect. He could tell she was uncomfortable speaking about it now. She hadn’t wanted to tell him at all, which meant she feared his reaction. 
She cut her eyes to watch him, thinking maybe he would just walk out. Thinking maybe it would be a relief if he did.

But he didn’t. He didn’t move at all. “How so?”

She was hesitant to go on. She had heard his voice moving toward it’s usual emotionless cadence but that phrase had held something she couldn’t put her finger on.