Epilogue

That last night together before he left had been hard, MJ thought they had both probably cried without letting the other know it as they lay in silence in their bedroom.

She'd gone out that morning for drinks, not wanting him to worry about making them. He came out of the shower to a scribbled note on the counter:

Gone for coffee <3

at the bottom, as an afterthought:

and tea

He'd so carefully folded it in fourths and stuck it in his pocket. None of them carried photos of their loved ones, it was far too dangerous to so easily identify them, but the blue ink pen letters stayed close to his heart, just as good. She never thought of it again, figured he'd thrown it out.

She hadn't slept in her bed since the first night they had spent there, and she didn't care to go back.

Even now, now that he was away. She had told him over and over again that she didn't need him, that she wanted him to go, that it was the greatest part of him, a part she loved as much as the rest. But she missed him horribly. And it was only a short one, he'd only been gone for a few weeks. Nightmares came to her a lot, enough that she had taken to laying awake at night and sleeping during the day without his presence there to calm her down. They were almost always the same she'd had when they'd first left. Him, dead. They didn't get out. No one saved them. And it was hard, waking with her heart racing and wondering if it was just a nightmare or actually an omen.

It was really fucking early, the sun wasn't up, but she was wide awake, staring out his window. In his shirt. His voice in her head. He was on his way back. They were done, possibly, he couldn't really say, but it didn't matter because it meant he had time to come back for a bit.

The whole day was lost to her, she paced back and forth waiting on a call from him, saying they'd landed, that he'd be there soon. It came late, after she'd forced herself to eat dinner. He sounded normal, warm, even, but she was nervous. Butterflies ate at her, she didn't know what he was really like, coming back. What he would need.

She needed to climb all over him, touch every inch of him, not let him out of her sight. But her needs weren't so important.

Simon had settled pretty easily into the work at hand. It was just the four of them, the purpose was to gather intel, prepare for a larger operation that Price was asked to assist with. So it wouldn't be a long trip home but, it was a trip home.

He hadn't avoided talking about MJ, but the others had avoided asking. Like it was a fragile subject. He didn't agree and he had a difficult time not expressing how happy he was to get back to her. He hadn't let it hurt his focus, but once he was seated on the plane, it was the only thing in his focus at all.

When his feet hit the ground outside the plane, he made a beeline for his motorcycle, he made a beeline for her.

MJ was sitting at the bar in the kitchen, a book in her hand, when she heard the key enter the lock. Her heart raced and she forgot her anxieties about how he might feel, dropping it and rounding the corner of the counter as he walked in. He had his mask on. She didn't care. She was in his arms so fast, he dropped his bag on the floor in the doorway and pulled her close, as close as he could. She smelled so sweet, a smell that was starting to become sentimental in a way, a mingling of her unique scent and what he knew to be himself.

"Hey, baby." He said around a smile.

"Simon." She answered, her face against his neck.

Gently, he set her down and moved his things out of the way. He pulled off the mask and revealed his face without a second thought, laying it aside. She backed against the counter and watched him.