Chapter 34

The darkness that had been following MJ was something she no longer had the strength to run from. She had finally hit a wall. Literally. She could no longer see the sunset she'd been chasing or feel the warmth from it. She was stuck, she couldn't push forward. A brick wall rose before her from the ground to the sky and she saw no door, no window.

She turned around, sliding down to sit in the sand. At least she could say she didn't give up. Her soul would know she had tried. She hoped those on the outside knew, too.

She closed her eyes as darkness met her, swallowing her slowly and with a strong chill. It was quiet, and nothing happened, she still sat alone. She opened her eyes to total darkness. Blackness. She held a hand up in front of her face. Nothing. She got nervous. This wasn't what she had expected. She sat there for a moment, steadying her tired breathing, praying her eyes might adjust. Then she heard something.

A low voice from just beside her, tired like hers, words unintelligible to her ears.

Suddenly she wasn't sitting, she was lying down, stretched out like a cadaver under a blanket. Other sounds filled her mind, beeping and hands across a blanket and her own breathing mingled with someone else's. And she wasn't so cold anymore, and her eyes were closed again. She could tell because a gentle light seemed to be around her, one she knew couldn't have appeared in the darkness from before.

She finally forced her eyes to open, just a bit, so she could find out where she had ended up. All she could see when she did was a man sitting next to her where she laid, his eyes on her body, before their familiar sleepy brown finally landed on her face. She couldn't find it in her to speak, she wasn't sure she knew how, but she remembered his name as he quickly stood, looking surprised, and backed away from her. She widened her eyes, trying to tell him not to leave again and he stopped. He never blinked, but he walked back toward her and did something with his hands. She didn't know what. She didn't care.

MJ wasn't sure where she was or why. Her last memories were from inside her mind, anything before that was blurry like a dream that sometimes popped up to make you believe in déjà vu and then left again. But he hadn't been in her mind with her, so he must be from before.

He backed away again, she wished her fucking voice worked so she could tell him to stop, but someone else appeared behind him, pushing past his arm and coming to her side. A woman.

"Mariana. Do you know where you are?"

Oh god. Déjà vu hit her then, hard enough to make her dizzy even as she laid perfectly still.

The woman wasn't looking at her, she was fiddling with things, but after a moment, she leaned to shine a light in her eyes, see if they responded.

MJ didn't look at her, or answer her, she just kept searching for the man that had backed nearly to the door.

"MJ." The blond said again. MJ recognized her, her voice. "Can you hear me?"

She cut her eyes to the medic's face and nodded to the best of her ability. The woman smiled softly.

"Good." She was still poking at her, pulling things connected to her hands and moving her arms around. "Your throat might be sore, okay? When you do feel like talking, it's okay if you need to cough." She moved to MJ's other side. MJ tensed. The man was gone. "You've been out for a few days and you had major surgery. You can just lay here and rest for a while, alright? There's no rush." She stepped back and looked MJ over. "It's good to see you again."

MJ felt more of herself entering her body every second. It felt like waking up at a snail's pace, seeing, hearing. Understanding. Speaking.

She parted her lips, unsure what would come out. The woman was right, her throat felt scratchy and achy. She didn't make much sound, but she did form a word.