Chapter 11 - Picking At The Pieces

Katie's P.O.V

"Jesus Christ." I looked around the place.
"All clear..." A uniformed officer came over to my team and I. "They knew we were coming."
Papers covered the floor, the overhead light bulb was smashed, a notice board fallen off the wall. The place was abandoned.
"Right... I want everything collected! Nothing goes amiss!" Tony ordered.
"Gov, it's all junk..." Gary frowned, picking up a page from the floor, seeing it was an ad for motor homes.
"They could of missed something." Tony sighed, walking out the hut we were in.

I leaned back on the wall, my head back, eyes closed. Gary stood opposite me, by a window, holding the flyer, looking out. Martin stood over by the door, looking to Steve, while Steve was standing over to my right, at the front of the pack, looking at the mess ahead of us.
Officers were picking up the papers, and searching for anything deemed useful.
"Laugh it up." Martin mumbled, making me open my eyes.
The MS walked in, seeing the mess.

"Perfect! Now we're back to square one!" Andy barked out.
I opened my jacket, pulling my badge out. "Steve." I pushed myself off the wall, holding it out for him.
"What?" He looked at me, taking it.
I pulled out my gun and pointed it at Andy. "Shut the fuck up!"
"Jesus!" The MS went into a panic.
"Katie, put the gun down!" Gary spoke up, holding a hand out for me to give him my gun.
"My best friend died, and this is the help we get?!" I started to cry, talking to Gary, looking at Andy.
"Like that is my fault!" Andy held his hands up, unsure if I'm serious or not.
"You're such a joke. You all are!" I frowned, tears falling down my face.
"Kate, you don't want to do this." Steve came up behind me. "We'll find another way. We always do. Let's just cool off, yeah?"
"You're fucking crazy!" Andy stared at me. "What the fuck?!" He was terrified.

Martin shut the door, catching everyone's attention.
"Tony is walking this way. Put down the gun, and we can sort this out calmly. He'll have your badge if he sees this." He looked over at me.
"Come on, Katie. This is everything you ever wanted." Gary pleaded.
"Not like this, Kate... We've got a pact. We either retire, or get killed off." Steve carefully put his hand over mine, lowering the gun.
"I'm not playing this game!" Andy took a step back, crashing into Roger. "You're fucking nuts! You shouldn't be on this case!"
"Andy, shut up! She's just upset that we blew it here!" John shouted at him.
"Who's side are you on?" Nick's turned to speak. "You were a great cop, but since coming here, your a headless chicken."
"Maybe so, but you try working with the one who watched their partner die!" John defended me.

Steve took my gun, just as the door opened.
"What's going on?" Tony came in. "Bolan?"
Everyone was quiet.
"Someone better start talking, and that's an order!" Tony looked at us all.
No one.
"Norman!" Tony was getting impatient, looking at his partner.
Steve looked at Tony, before looking at me.
I knew he had to tell on me.

"Sir, I think it's best we leave, and I take Bolan home..." He really didn't want to do it to me.
"Why's that?" Tony walked through the group, walking up to us.
"I'm too emotionally involved." I finally said it.
"Katie!" Gary frowned.
"Bolan..." Tony looked down at me.
"I'll write a full report... I'm off this case, Gov." My voice cracked, before I burst into tears.
Steve grabbed me, hugging me, letting me cry.
"I want a report from everyone here." Tony looked back to the MS, Gary and Martin.
"Yes, Gov." Martin nodded.
"Bolan, is that what you really want?" Tony frowned.
"No, but it's what everyone else wants..." I huffed, before pushing off Steve and walking out the hut.
I climbed into my car, leaving my gun and badge with Steve, driving myself home.

. . .

Tony's P.O.V

"What happened, Steve?" I asked, looking to the door that Katie had just walked out.
"She pulled her gun on Andy, after he laughed at this mess, making the remark 'back to square one'." Steve was upset telling me this.
"This true, Taylor?" I looked to Andy.
"Yes, sir..." He couldn't deny it, no longer proud of himself.
"And what made the childish comments OK?" I asked him, before holding my hand out to Steve, silently asking for Katie's badge and gun.
"Sir, I-"
"Yeah." I stopped him, looking to Bolan's ID. "She and Keeble were partners from day one in the 5 7 0 5... Now, I'm not defending her actions, but can you really blame her for the outburst? I don't think so... I'm going to see to it, she's off the case, but I will accept her back, if she choses to re-join. I'm also going to give word to your governor about the way to treat my team... I'm beginning to think having your help was a bad decision on my part." I frowned.

Everyone was silenced.

"I want you all back to HQ. I want those reports immediately. I'm going to stop by Bolan's house, see if she's there. I'll join you all later." I told them, before walking out the old garage hut, and over to my car.
Just as I opened the drivers side door, Steve ran out.
"Gov!" He ran over. "Tony, I'm sorry."
"I know. It's OK... I just need to make sure Katie is." I gave him a nod, saying I forgave him for not wanting to bust Katie.
He gave a small sad smile back, before he walked over to Gary and Martin's car, meeting them there.

. . .

I knocked on the front door, seeing the car parked in her usual space.
She lived on the second floor of the estate, the same flat I gave her, when she first joined the force.
The door opened with a click, and my heart broke at the sight that welcomed me.
"Gov..." Her voice crackled, her eyes red and puffy, her hair tied back in a messy bun.
"Not now, Katie." I frowned, before stepping into her flat, switching off the formality.
She followed me through to the couch, taking a seat as I stood in the centre of the room, looking around the place.
It's been a while since I was last here. A picture of her and John was framed up on the wall, over to the right. It stood alone, no other pictures near it. I missed him just as much, in all honestly.

"If you want off this case, then OK." I started, turning to her, seeing she was curled up on the sofa. "But the door is open, should you want to come back to it... I know it's a tough one, and I'm so sorry it's happened to you, but I'm not mad about your outburst. Slightly disappointed, yes, but I'm not going to hold it against you. We all would have done the same. Could you imagine what Gary would do, if it was Martin in John's place?"
She huffed a small laugh. "He'd kill 'em all."
"He wouldn't rest, until everyone involved payed for it... And I know you feel just the same." I took a seat next to her.
I placed her gun and badge on the coffee table, giving her the choice.
"You're pretty snazzy for a copper." I smiled at her, getting a sad smile back in return.