12 • Cozen

Co • zen
Noun | Meaning
To trick or deceive

It's been a few weeks now since the death of Maya and to be honest, not a lot has changed. For a moment I believed everything could go back to normal and I could love my husband again like I once used to. But the morning after we had made love, reality hit me again. I was completely fooling myself. 

Now I've just been trying to earn Nekane's trust in order to get more freedom. And now I believe I have enough to leave once again. I know where Nekane keeps his credit cards so I can easily pull the same trick regarding the money.  I'm not going to be able to take any other clothes with me and once again will have to do it with what I have. 

I hope I can get in contact with Kristel again once I'm in a safe location, hoping that she can bring me some of my remaining stuff back in Miami. And if there's nothing there, then once again some of her own. After that we'll have to separate, I have already asked so much from her. I can't keep getting her involved with my problems. 

for tonight I asked if I could cook for Nekane. Not too difficult. I'm making him a Tortellini dish with some rings and bells. Finishing it off with a glass of red wine. And while mine will be completely fine and I'll probably only have a few sips. His will have 2 sleeping pills in there. More than recommended, but not enough for him to overdose. 

While I am quite nervous, I know deep down I need to do this. 

Grabbing the pills out of my drawer I put two carefully in the back pocket of my jeans. The rest I put back where they were and with a deep breath I prepare myself for tonight. 

Later, as I'm finishing the final touches of dinner, I grab two wine glasses and a bottle of red. Nekane is in de study right now, doing god knows what while I'm preparing the dinner. I put the two glasses in front of me carefully, while I grab the two sleeping pills out of my back pocket. With a spoon, I crunch them to powder and then carefully sprinkle it in the glass. 

When I'm done with that, I fill the two glasses halfway with red wine. I stir the wine with the powder a little extra as it doesn't immediately mix well with the wine. While stirring my hand slightly shakes, you can clearly tell I'm nervous. I need to seriously shake that off before I call Nekane down for dinner. 

As I finish up, I take a last look at the two glasses. You can't even see the powder anymore. Note to self, it's the right glass. Right glass. Right glass. Right glass.

I let out a nervous breath as I walk out of the kitchen and yell out for Nekane. "Kane! Dinner's pretty much ready!" I shout and seconds later I hear a door open. I put on a fake smile as I watch him walk downstairs and make eye contact with me. 

"Well aren't you the perfect wife," He says grinning as he leads us to the dining room. He takes a seat himself as I walk back into the kitchen and get all the food out. Nekane patiently waits until everything's on the table. Including the two glasses of red wine. 

They're the last two things I bring out, as I carefully give Nekane the right glass. I give him a sweet smile as I go to sit across from him and take my first sip of my own wine. He himself just sets the glass down and takes a look at all the food. 

"It looks great Jules," He compliments me making me genuinely smile for a second. "Thank you, dig in then," I say as I myself begin to eat as well. It feels kind of weird that I'm doing this again. And deep down I feel devastated. Secretly I always kinda wished that if we would see each other again, I'd be because he had found me and would tell me this was all some misunderstanding. That he wasn't a criminal, murderer, and he actually was some secret ass-saving agent or something. 

But here I am, sitting across from him again, about to drug him so I can escape this shitshow of a marriage. Again. 

My eyes linger on his red wine, me secretly praying to every god to exist that he'll soon take his first sip. I want to be out of this house, as early as possible. "Jules?" Nekane snaps me out of my thoughts and my eyes meet his. He looks a little confused, suspicious almost as we look at each other. "You've barely taken a bite from your food," He states and I look at my plate before looking at his.