4. Game of Popularity

Marco's house resembled a big fraternity place, where students would throw parties every single evening. The thing was, Marco's party was only once a year, when his parents were leaving for their own spring holiday. Percy never has even met him, since he was two years older. She didn't attend last year's party, because back then Marco and Trevor weren't buddies, thus neither of her friends got an invitation. She wasn't also invited on other big parties of his friends, like Halloween. Sometimes it made her feel like a social ghost.

"We just got to the next level of social interactions," stated Millie, whose eyes got bigger out of excitation.

"Level called the outcasts trying to befriend popular kids?" joked Percy, correcting the blue shirt she had tied over her belly button.

"Oh, high school was so much easier, wasn't it?"

"Cause back then we actually talked with other people."

"Now you have me, and that should be enough." Veronica touched her long braids. The dark green dress looked perfectly on her chocolate skin. "We look like queens, which we obviously are."

"My queens." Trevor put his arms around the three of them. Since they decided to go as the Powerpuff Girls, he wore a white laboratory coat. They looked cool, but Percy hoped they didn't go too Halloween on this one. "Are you ready to rock this party?"

Percy gazed at the big house in front of which several people smoked. There were colorful lights flashing from the inside, along with bumping and thumping music. She wasn't able to share Millie's and Veronica's excitement, although the three of them looked amazing, and this night was about to be awesome. The nightmares were taking a toll on her since she couldn't figure out why they appeared. Every time she closed her eyes, she could see the accident. And when she woke up this morning, Percy had this terrible feeling that something's about to happen. Something bad and scary.

"Hey, try to relax." Millie caught Percy by the hand, which Veronica noticed right away. She stepped aside, pretending to check something on her phone. Percy didn't tell her about nightmares, so once again she felt like she wasn't included.

"Let's just go inside," proposed Percy, taking her hand back.

Unless there will be any demons or other hellish creatures, she should have a great time. For now, she didn't see anything strange the whole day. And there were no supernatural entities at the party, just casual students drinking beer.

"Party's on!" yelled Trevor, who pulled Millie with him, while running to the house.

Percy and Veronica stayed behind them, which created a good opportunity to talk. She didn't want to make her friend feel excluded.

"It was about my nightmares. Lately, I keep dreaming about the accident. Sorry I didn't tell you."

"That's alright," Veronica said, but from the tone of her voice, Percy could easily deduct it wasn't. "That's more of yours and Millie's thing. I couldn't possibly relate to what you've been through."

It never ended for me.

She tried not to speak about it, because not talking about her weird supernatural powers of seeing the entities not from this world felt like lying. It wasn't hard with her parents. Since she moved out to college, their talks usually revolved around grades and friends. Much harder was living with Millie in the dorm and keeping all this stuff from her. Especially knowing how excited she would be about another, paranormal world existing just beside them. Nevertheless, there was nothing to be excited about.

"When I fell into a coma, Millie couldn't forgive herself. She thought it all happened because of her. From what she told me, those were dark times for her. Especially that camp for troubled kids. I think there are also secrets she never told me."