golden-jake (enhypen)

jake woke up with the sun in his face. it danced around on his skin and laid on his blanket like a warm hug. he slowly lifted himself up and hugged his pillow, his mouth turning into a frown.

3 soft knocks were placed on his door. "jake? are you awake?" his roomate jay asked, probably getting ready to leave for work.

"i'm up." jake mumbled, holding onto his pillow and putting a hand up to block the sun. "alright then." jay chuckled. "i have work so i'm going to be leaving. there's food on the table for you, ok?"

"ok," jake said, rubbing his eyes as he sat up, the bed creaking. he walked out the door, jake's pajamas still on his body as he sat at the table.

serving himself a portion of the warm breakfast, he quietly ate what jay had made. jake was extremely tired as he got home late at night from his work and since today was his off day, he decided to use that and sleep in.

finishing up, he placed his plate in the sink. jake stumbled back into his room, the sleepiness lifting from his eyes. grabbing a pair of clean clothes and his phone, jake walked into the shared bathroom.

taking off his pajamas, he slid on his new clothes, looking into the mirror. he silently brushed his teeth, watching himself in the piece of silver and glass. combing through his hair, he left the bathroom and got ready to leave. jake put on his watch and grabbed his house keys, exiting his bedroom.

jake walked up to the entryway, sitting on the small bench he and jay had purchased from ikea. he slid on his socks and tied his shoes, looking at himself once before walking out the door and locking it behind him.

***

jake entered a small cafe that was hidden among the busy city streets. he entered to a warm aroma of coffee flooding his senses. he headed in a beeline to the counter, ordering a cup of coffee. even if coffee wasn't his favorite, it smelled to good to not buy one.

jake grabbed his ticket and sat down at a nearby table. a small dog walked up to him, begging for attention. he was confused until he looked up at the sign in the cafe, realization hitting him like a truck that he was in one of the many dog cafes that crowded the area.

he picked up the small dog, scratching it behind its ears, the dog curling onto jake's lap. "order 130." the barista said, the order of coffee placed on the counter. jake set the dog down and grabbed the drink, giving the worker a quick thank you.

he sat back down with the little dog draped on his lap, petting its head as he slowly drank his coffee. the atmosphere was calming and almost lulled jake back to sleep even though he had a caffeinated beverage in his hands.

he heard a joyous bark which brought him out of his state of relaxation. a small golden retriever ran out, running so fast where it's small body was jumping around in the air. jake saw someone laugh, holding the small dog in his hands.

jake smiled at the sweet sight. the dog hobbled off his lap, but jake continued to look at the smiling boy who bathed in the light.

"excuse me, can i leave him with you? i have to go get the other dogs." the boy said, a bright smile on his face. jake nodded and took the golden retriever in his arms, stroking his head. the dog was extremely fluffy and was almost like a stuffed animal.

"you and the dog look similar. you both have that calm and friendly vibe about you." the boy said, holding another dog. jake's cheeks turned pink as he looked at the boy. "thanks. my roommate tells me that a lot." jay had said it countless of times that if jake were to adopt a new golden retriever, he wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two.

"that's sweet." the boy said, cooing at the dog, the smile of the person in front of him adding to his reaction. "my friends say i look like a bear. very sleepy and cuddly." jake could see it. the boy had a very calming aura around him. he felt at peace just standing next to him.

the two chatted for a while, getting to know each other. it was nice and relaxing, as the cafe was almost empty, the sent of baked goods and warm drinks floating in the air. jake looked at his watch, frowning that the clock faced 3:00.

"i should get going. my roommate's going to be home from work soon." jake said, getting up from the cozy seat. "bye, see you soon." the boy said waving. he picked up his dogs paw, moving it back and forth. jake laughed at the cute sight before waving goodbye and walking out the door.

he definitely had a new reason to visit this cafe more often.

/******/
word count: 854
status: edited
original publish date: 11/15/2022

haply birthday to our golden retiever jake!
this was completely unplanned and last minute so it's not of the best quality

byebye~