𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏

"𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘤𝘢𝘶𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘢 𝘥𝘰𝘦?!"

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

╰┈˚ · ° . ᴛʜᴇ ᴡɪɴᴛᴇʀ ᴀɪʀ ᴡᴀꜱ ꜰʀᴇᴇᴢɪɴɢ. The cold snow fell from the sky. Snowflakes covered the Archeron girls' clothes, hair and eyelashes. They had risked much in coming so far into the forest, but the family had finished the last loaf of bread the day prior, and the remainder of their dried meat the day before. Only a few hours of daylight remained. If they don't leave soon, they have to navigate their way home in the dark.

The icy snow crunched under Maiven's twin sister's fraying boots. With her hands probably numb from the cold she signaled her sister her next move.

Feyre slowly walked away hoping to find more luck while wandering around the freezing forest.

They knew that they needed this hunt to go well. They wouldn't last another week without food.

Maiven eased into a more comfortable position and calmed her breathing, straining to listen to the forest over the wind.

Just as her thoughts began to wander, bushes rustled across the clearing.

Drawing her bow was a matter of instinct. She peered through the thorns, her breath caught in her throat.

Less than thirty paces away stood a small doe, not yet too scrawny from winter, but desperate enough to wrench bark from a tree in the clearing.

A deer like that could feed the Archeron family for a week or more.

Maiven's mouth watered. Quiet as the wind hissing through dead leaves, she took aim.

The doe continued tearing off strips of bark, chewing slowly, utterly unaware that her death waited yards away.

They could dry half the meat, and they could immediately eat the rest—stews, pies ... the skin could be sold, or perhaps turned into clothing for one of the sisters. Feyre needed new boots, but Elaine needed a new cloak, and Nesta was prone to crave anything someone else possessed.

Maiven's fingers trembled. So much food—such salvation. She took a steadying breath, double-checking her aim.

The gold-brown haired girl fired her arrow just as the doe turned towards her. The sharp end clean through one of its eyes, killing it instantaneously.

A shaky and breathy laugh escaped the young girl's mouth as she looked at the now dead animal with relief.

Mai calmly walked toward it, kneeling in the snow next to the animal's unmoving body, before she hoisted her across her shoulders.