aemond V

Being in King's Landing for the first time in years was an odd feeling. It wasn't bad, but it was certainly weird. King's Landing was safe to be in, but no one wanted to be here. Rhaenyra visited with her boys once in a while, but Aemond and his siblings chose to not come back unless they needed to. And they weren't needed to. Their father never cared about them, and they weren't keen on demanding his love and affection now. They had their parents; Rhaenyra and Laenor were better parents than his real parents could even dream of being.

He didn't want to go back to King's Landing, but Viserys was insistent on throwing a ball for Aurora's name day. He was here for her. Technically, they were all there for her, but half of them were truly only here because it was for her. At least they had more people with them than last time. Instead of a young him, Aegon, and Helaena hiding behind Rhaenyra's skirts, they stood together as a united family. Rhaenys, Laena, and Laena's children had taken Aurora into the keep through a secret tunnel; the information provided by Daemon. Aemond, Aegon, Helaena, Jace, Luke, Laenor, and Rhaenyra were all gathered in the courtyard as the King joyfully made his way over to them.

He greeted his daughter with enthusiasm along with her husband and their children. Viserys was a touch more reserved when he greeted his other kids, but Aemond couldn't blame him. How do you greet someone you've neglected your entire life? Especially when that someone was your own child. A pat on the arm was all he and his siblings got. He waved away Rhaenyra's upset look at her father. He didn't care; it had been too long for him to care about that.

He had commissioned new rooms to be made up for everyone; closer together this time. Aemond wondered if Rhaenyra had mentioned something to him. Everyone knew the danger was no longer present in King's Landing, but being here just made everyone want to stay together. Aemond didn't mind being closer. Aurora would be spending a majority of her time in either Rhaenyra, Helaena, or Aegon's chambers, and if he was close to them, he was close to her. That sole thought would get him through this trip.

He hated sleeping here. Or rather, he hated the lack of sleep he would get here. He tossed and turned for what had to be hours before he ended up throwing his covers off his body and sitting up. He sat on the edge of the bed, cursing the place for taking his sleep from him. He was contemplating what he should do to tire himself out when there was a knock at his door. He got up to answer it; only a myriad of people would be knocking on his door this late. Three of which wouldn't bother knocking. That left the two girls, but he just had a feeling it wasn't Helaena. It had to be his dragon.

Sure enough, Aurora was smiling up at him when he opened the door, and she held something behind her back. He raised a brow at her, "Come to kill me?"

She ducked under his arm holding the door open, "Not today. Perhaps another time."

He chuckled under his breath as he shut the door behind him, "Someone would get the wrong idea if they saw you entering my chambers this late all alone, my lady."

"Do you think someone saw me?" She gave him a worried look.

He shook his head, taking a seat in front of his fireplace, "If they did, we'd hear about it in the morning. A beautiful lady entering my room late at night would be a great conversation piece."

She plopped down in the seat next to him, handing him the poultice in her hand, "Just one more thing people will hate me for."

He opened the pouch, smiling slightly when he saw the sleeping aid, "No one will hate you."

She sighed, leaning her head against the back of the chair, "Realistically, I know that. I don't know how to stop the thoughts, though. My heart has been in my throat since I found out we would be coming here. I'm sure if I showed you my hand, it would be shaking."

He looked down at her hand where it was fidgeting with her other hand. He hated hearing about how scared she was. He focused harder than ever on sword fighting to protect her from anyone who would hurt her, but how does he protect her from herself? He couldn't fight her thoughts, no matter how hard he tries.

"I'm sorry," was all he could tell her. He didn't know how to tell her just how hurt he was by her hurting.

She smiled at him, "Ah, don't worry about it. I'm sure I'll get over it. Soon, my focus will be on trying not to step on your toes as we dance."

He pictured them dancing, and decided that this entire trip would be worth it the moment she was in his arms. Then, he pictured her in the arms of someone else and he immediately wanted to leave. He would need to find a way to let everyone know she was his. She didn't even know it yet, but she was.

"I can handle it," he told her. He was torn between wanting her out of his room right now so he could sleep and have the ball be closer, and wanting her to not leave because she was with him.

"You say that now, but you'll be regretting it when you go to bed with black and blue toes because of me," she laughed a bit.

"It'll be worth it if I get to dance with you," he told her, smirking over at her. He relished in the blush he saw crawl up her next. He could see her blood racing through her veins, and his ego inflated knowing he was the cause.

"I wanted to bring you that because I knew you wouldn't be sleeping well whilst we are here," she hurriedly changed the subject.

He knew she was trying to escape the conversation, so he pushed aside his wanting her to stay the night and knocked back the sleeping aide she had brought him. He licked his lips to catch the stray drop before looking back at her, "Thank you."

She stood, nodding her head, "Of course. I want you to be well rested."

He stood as well, "Will you be?"

She shrugged at him, "Of course not. You know me."

He did, and he loved what he knew. He smiled at her, "I do. Though, I do hope you'll get some sleep."

She smiled at him, moving to the door, "I'll see you in the morning. I'm very excited for you to see my dress. I think you'll like it."

He raised a brow at her, leaning against the door as she tried to open it, "Why do you think that?"

There was a twinkle in her eye as she responded to him, "You'll see."

"You won't tell me?"

"You'll see," she was smiling at him.

He looked her up and down, "You could be wearing rags, and you'd still be the most beautiful girl in the room."

Her blush got even brighter, and he had to physically clench his fists to stop himself from caressing her cheek and feeling the heat he caused. She grabbed his arm and pulled away from the door, "Stop that."

He laughed at her whiny voice as he allowed her to pull him away from the door. She paused with her hand on the handle, speaking quietly over her shoulder, "I think you'll be the most handsome man at the ball. No matter what you wear."

She rushed out of the room after that, and he was left with a racing heart and a beaming smile.