aurora I

As it turns out, keeping her safe meant locking her away in the tallest tower of the castle. Her father was so adamant about keeping hands off of her that he made it so she had no contact with anyone besides himself, her handmaiden, and her sworn sword. She was nine when she first questioned why she even needed a sworn sword if no one knew about her existence. She stopped questioning it when she realized that she needed a friend. She wasn't mistreated, by any means. The few people she knew loved her deeply and she shared the affection. Besides, Ser Finneas was an expert at sneaking her books her father would not allow. She was fidgeting with her shift as she waited for him to bring her the book she asked for. Part of her felt afraid he wouldn't bring it at all.

"I can't directly disobey your father, my lady," he had told her, his face was the very picture of apologetic.

She tugged on his hand, her voice going up in pitch as she dragged out the word, "Please?"

His resolve cracked a bit. She took advantage, "I have family, Ser Finneas. I know it!"

He chuckled sadly at her, brushing her hair out of her face, "Everyone has a family, my lady."

She ripped her hand away from him and turned away, crossing her arms over her chest, "At least they know their family."

She loved her father dearly. Along with her two friends. But she wanted to know more about her family. About her mother. Her father rarely spoke of her. The only times he brought her up were when he was warning her about the dangers of the winged beasts. A dragon killed her mother; that's all she knew. She knew she should hate dragons, but she couldn't bring herself to. She yearned to know why. She yearned to know why her mind was sometimes flooded with images she couldn't explain. There had to be books on dragons in her family's home's library. So, she asked Ser Finneas to steal her one.

He sighed at her pulling away, "Aurora, you know your family. You father, Mya, and myself. We are your family. You know us."

Aurora sighed and uncrossed her arms, plopping down on her bed, "I know that!"

She didn't know how to explain the images that flashed in her mind, or her itching need to know of the dragons. She didn't understand it herself. So, she chalked it up to her childish fascination with the giant beasts. She had no merit for it, but she truly believed a dragon wouldn't just kill her mother. The moment her father told her that, her head started screeching at her. There had to be a reason. She couldn't explain why, but she knew learning about dragons would tell her more about her mother. Even if it was a little bit of information.

Ser Finneas was silent as she mulled about her thoughts. Eventually, she sighed, "I'm sorry. You are my family. I know that."

Finneas smiled softly at her and joined her on the bed, "I understand your want of knowledge, Aurora. It is a horrible thing to not know where you come from. But, you are a Baratheon. Your appearance does not change that. Nothing ever will."

Her appearance. She flinched at the words. She glanced towards the covered mirror she had in her room. She hated looking in it. It served as a constant reminder of how different and horrifying she was. She was grateful Mya had only looked at her with fear for only the first moon she started working for her. She was even more grateful Ser Finneas had never shown his fear, even though they both knew he felt it at first. Her own father took a moment to secure his fear well enough. When she was a few years younger, she didn't know why her appearance caused fear to flash in her family's eyes. Until she was finally tall enough to see into the mirror. She still remembered the first thought when she finally laid eyes on herself at nine years old. Ugly, her mind screamed at her. She thought her family was so beautiful, and she looked nothing like them, save her messy raven black hair. Her father had the most gorgeous brown eyes, while Ser Finneas had bright green eyes that seemed to always be lit with joy. Mya had a dark blue color for her eyes; sometimes Aurora just looked into their eyes, reveling in their beauty. In every drawing of the books she was allowed to study from, no one shared the bright yellow eyes she had. Some came close with a very light brown, but none matched. The glowing blood beneath her skin was something she could never ignore. She had at least hoped her face would be clear of it, but it wasn't. She took to wearing gloves and long sleeves from that day on. She could understand why the fear came so easily; she looked too different. Too unknown. She's had the mirror covered ever since.

She stared at the blanket over the mirror, "Did you know my mother, Ser?"

"I did."

"Did she look like me?"

He hesitated, "No, she didn't."

"She was pretty?" Aurora just knew her mother was the most beautiful woman in all the seven kingdoms.

"Your mother was beautiful, my lady," he grabbed her hand, bringing her attention to him. "As are you."

She didn't believe him. She leaned into his shoulder, "I'm sorry for what I asked of you. I understand why you can't do it."

He squeezed her hand, "Sweet girl, you have absolutely nothing to apologize for."

The door to her tower swung open and Mya stepped in with a tray of food, "I hope you're hungry! I've brought your favorite!"

Aurora beamed and jumped up, trying to take the tray from her friend. Mya held it over her head and passed the tray to Ser Finneas, "My lady, you know what happened last time I gave you the tray."

Aurora blushed and looked down. Last time, she had spilled hot soup all over herself. Mya had panicked, thinking the little lady was badly burned, but there was not a blemish on her. Her father yelled at her later that night for being reckless. She only wanted to help.

She shook off her embarrassment and sat down at the tiny table by her window. It had four seats, one for each member of her family. She watched as Mya set the table, "Is Father joining us?"

"He is," a voice sounded from behind her. She turned and ran into his arms. Her father typically visited every day. He hadn't been able to come to her at all this week though. She had missed him terribly. She clutched to him as he swept her off her feet, his laugh sounding through her rooms.

"I've missed you, my sunshine," her father whispered into her ear. Sometimes that nickname was the only thing keeping her from wanting to take her own eyes out.

"I missed you too, father. This week has been dreadfully boring!" She released him and used her hands to speak, making sure he understood just how boring it truly was to be alone in here.

Finneas made an offended noise from behind her, and she flashed him a cheeky grin. He playfully glared back, and she, very maturely, stuck out her tongue. She was lifted off her feet by her father, and he plopped her into her chair. Mya had finished setting the table and was currently sitting in her seat, as well. Her father was the last to take his seat. Aurora allowed herself a moment to look at the rare sight of her whole family eating together. Her father rarely dined with her lately, and Finneas only joined when her father did. Mya was the one who ate with her the most, but even she had been coming less and less recently. Aurora hated eating alone.

She pushed her thoughts away and began to eat, sending up a silent prayer to whoever was listening to not take her family away. She had the sinking feeling no one heard her.