Chapter Fifteen: Tradition

They all sat at the table mulling over the story Ryne had told of the fall of Kirill, and all of them thought the same thing. How is he still alive?

"Ryne is it possible that he wasn't actually dead? Are you sure that he was?" asked Mylar knowing that Ryne was not so careless but it just didn't add up.

"I assure you I killed him, two swords driven through your neck and a slit throat tends to do the job pretty well" said Ryne snapping back at Mylar who could not find words to give in return.

"We torched the body and all sign of the battle as we always have, so I cannot understand how he could be alive. I do not doubt Joseph's description either, it's definitely him" said Ryne not sure what to think anymore.

Then something hit Ryne, after over a hundred years it never struck him sooner.

"Come to think of it, it seemed too easy. He'd taken out several squads of Arturion’s before with ease from what our reports had said" said Ryne.

"Hmm, regardless we need to be careful especially if he decides to try his luck again. Therefore no more using personal transport, if Jamie and his parents go to see Peter it's by train only, they won't attack us like that" said Tobias.

Everyone merely nodded in agreement; at least the Michael’s would still be able to see Peter. The last thing they wanted to do was ban them from visiting unless they had absolutely no other options. They sat and discussed the possibility of him having a twin brother but that was quickly refuted as Ryne mentioned that he was an only child no other siblings in existence. After over half an hour of discussing other matters they all left the war room. Only leaving Ryne to his thoughts as they set out to prepare for the Bryce's funeral and that of the men and women lost at Inchkieth.

He was concerned about the survivors, the ones who had retreated had yet to be found. Which made sense as the base's location was only known to two people in Scotland, Braius and Argus. Whether Braius was alive or not was unknown, they'd sent out a squad to see the extent of the damage at Inchkieth. It had all been burned to the ground, no sign of life and no sign of evidence for the authorities to find, but they were going to find that suspicious. That's all they were going to find though so the secret was at least still safe.

There was a knock at the door and Ryne called for the person to enter. The door swung open to reveal of all people, Braius. He was covered in mud, his clothes were singed in places and he had a red raw burn marring the skin of his right hand and smaller burn on his head. They locked eyes for a moment, Ryne in shock at his sudden appearance then he collapsed to the ground pulling one of the chairs down with him as he fell. Ryne rushed over to him and put two fingers to his neck to check for a pulse, he was alive just exhausted most likey.

As Ryne looked over him the burns seemed to be his only wounds which supported his theory of exhaustion but they looked like they might be infected and needed immediate attention. He scooped Braius up into his arms and continued to carry him to one of the rooms upstairs, coming to the top of the stairs he proceeded through one of the doors in front of him just managed to open it with Braius in his arms. Entering the room was decorated with deep browns to match the dark brown of the door and the frames of the windows, the previous owners seemed to live quite well here.

Ryne carefully led Braius down on the the four poster double bed, which sat as the centrepiece of the room which was huge beyond reason. It had a set of cabinet's and a wardrobe pushed up against the left hand side of the room also in dark browns to match. "No wonder the previous owner's went bankrupt, they liked to splash the cash" thought Ryne who had never had any reason to go into any of the rooms until now, despite how long they'd been here. Braius moaned but remained motionless aside from a slight twitch of his hand. With that done Ryne carried on to find the doctor who was in the room next door attending to Jamie's busted ribs. Jamie was sat up on the end of the bed as the doctor wrapped bandages around his waist securing his ribs securely.