Chapter Three: Choosing A Path

They sat there in stunned silence as the minutes ticked by. The air was becoming so thick with tension; you wouldn't be able to cut it with a knife before long. Taylor spoke first which surprised even himself.

"So what you're saying is that I'm technically king?" asked Taylor. His hands shook in anticipation of the answer as he looked down at his lap not having the courage to look up just yet.

"To put it directly yes you are, although not officially announced. Before we do, we have to train you so you can lead as you were meant to," said Tobias looking directly at him.

"What if I refuse?" asked Taylor, finally looking up but he was angry now. It was almost as if they expected him to do it.

Tobias leaned forward and looked him straight in the eye unflinching. "That is your choice Taylor and I would never dream of forcing that upon you if that's what you're thinking" replied Tobias reading the expression on his face.

"But what you have to understand is that when we let you walk away you can't go back to your old life, not with the Cyturion's aware of your existence. You and your family will have to disappear forever and with a man like Noran, he won't ever stop chasing you." his voice weighed down with regret.

"I need time to think about this. It doesn't just affect me. I don't want my family caught up in a war if I can help it." said Taylor standing and making his way out of the room to get some space from the strange men to think.

Before he walked through the door he turned to look at Tobias. "What about my family? They aren't safe." said Taylor now thinking that it should've been his first thing to say instead of his last.

"Your parents are on the way to a safe location and we have our people on their way to Oxford to collect your sister as well. We've spun a story that you and Jamie witnessed a murder as a result, you are under protective custody by the police," said Tobias.

"When can I see them?" asked Taylor.

"Soon I promise. Once we have them all secure and a phone line established which hasn't any risk of being wire tapped. We'll set up a call with them. Then you can see them not long after that. You have my word Taylor." said Tobias. His voice yet again convincing Taylor of his words.

"Good because if they're harmed, because I'll be going after this Noran" said Taylor. Then he walked out of the room, slamming the door shut behind him his rage having doubled in mere seconds.

Jamie considered going after him but thought better of it knowing that was the last thing Taylor would want. He wasn't an angry person but when he was angry you steered clear of him.

"What about my family? My brother even, he's still in hospital!" asked Jamie, his voice wavering with panic.

"We've done the same and made sure there's protection placed at the hospital for your brother. They'll be safe as I promised Taylor with his family," Tobias' voice was warming as was his smile, in a bid to calm Jamie.

It didn't work; Jamie twiddled his thumbs still anxious about what he was going to do. How could he possibly join a war?

****

Cyturion Base, somewhere in the English Countryside.

"This is unacceptable Noran"! roared the man with fiery red hair as he rose from his chair, slamming his fist down on the cold metal table causing it to shake violently.

"Watch your tongue Caius. These could be the last words you ever form," growled Noran from his position standing by the door of the war room.

The war room was a dank dark basement with, a metal rectangular table in the very middle. Computers littered the room manned by a person the vast majority of the time. Maps and documents were spread out all over the surface of the table, listing targets and sources of information on new recruits.