[5] Words of adoration

The next few nights, Y/N didn't show up outside on the bridge to read in peace. Not even when she lay awake until late at night and racked her brains over all the things. The place where she had always sat and read before remained empty.

And Lesso had also noticed the absence of the other. The first few nights she had sneaked outside as usual, knowing that Y/N could catch her at any time, but when she had stepped out of the door, there was no trace of the young woman. The nights that followed also remained unfulfilling for the Dean, and all at once she was much colder again, as she had been before the Ever's arrival. And at some point, Lesso had given up on it and her gates also remained locked during the nights.

The only times Y/N and Lady Lesso crossed paths was at meal times together, but they never spoke a word to each other, only exchanging scattered glances.
And for Y/N, a terrible emotional chaos began and everything was related to Lesso. She was the one who was constantly buzzing in Y/N's head and it was her looks that sent a shiver down the young woman's spine. God, Lesso had way too much power over her now. Her and her copper colored hair and slightly rosy lips.

"Y/N? Earth to Y/N." Dovey's voice filtered through to her, snapping her out of her thoughts. "Mhm? I'm sorry, what did you say?" She had been lost in thought that she hadn't even noticed Dovey talking to her. The woman eyed Y/N with a worried look, of course it hadn't escaped her notice that her friend's mind had been elsewhere quite often lately.

"Are you all right, dear?" she asked in a soft voice, settling down in the chair across from Y/N. She nodded quickly, after all there was really nothing wrong with her and she couldn't very well tell her that she had been sneaking outside night after night to read and had run into Lesso. That would get both her and the other woman into trouble and that was exactly what Y/N wanted to avoid.

But Dovey was not to be shaken off that quickly and she looked at Y/N with that look that she knew something was wrong. "Now don't look like that, Clarissa. There's really nothing wrong. My mind's just been somewhere else lately, that's all." Well, rather, her thoughts were on someone else. The dean finally sighed softly. "Okay, okay. If you say everything is okay, then I'll believe you. Just know that you can always come to me if something is bothering you. We're good friends, after all, and I can help you."

It was sweet that Dovey was so concerned about her well-being, but Y/N knew she couldn't tell Dovey. After all, she couldn't very easily say that she was starting to develop a crush on Lady Lesso. It was just wrong and inappropriate. A Never and an Ever... That would never be acknowledged by the others and besides, she dared to doubt that Lesso really liked her. If Y/N was honest, she wasn't even sure if there was anyone Lesso liked at all.

Fortunately, Dovey then left it at that and continued with her real topic. The Everball was scheduled for tomorrow and there was a lot to do before then. Y/N had offered to give Dovey a hand and here they were. In the almost fully decorated ballroom that would be filled tomorrow with gowns, tulle and newly in love princes and princesses.

Over on the other side, at the School for Evil, Lesso stood at the large tower window looking out, her tall stature leaning against a hard stone pillar. She was preparing for the next class, and she could already hear the door opening and the students entering to settle into their seats. But Lesso did not react. She didn't say anything or start her lesson. The only thing she did was to continue staring out the window in the direction of the School for Good.

"Do you think she's planning anything?"

"Nah, I don't think so. She looks a lot more like she's thinking about someone."

"Who, for that matter?"

"I don't know. Her secret lover, maybe?"

"Uh, we're the bad guys remember? We don't have lovers, dummy."