Interlude-For you are a Nishizumi Part 3

The day after Miho's departure back to the Akagi…

"It's not far now, my lady," Kikuyo confirmed as she walked along the dirt path dressed in a blue and white kimono with Shiho at her side.

Shiho didn't respond but nodded as she adjusted the loose-fitting jacket she was wearing along with some simple jeans and running shoes, as the early morning chill was still in the air with a light mist accompanying it as well. Looking around, Shiho took in the rows of trees adorned on both sides of the path, part of the immense forest behind the Nishizumi estate that the family had preserved for generations.

This very forest held many memories for Shiho, a place that had given her moments of happiness and peace. A place that allowed her to escape the estate when things had become too much to handle when it came to the Nishizumi name. Many times in her youth, she walked the entire forest by herself, caring little for direction, just simply needing to escape her reality for an hour or two.

Then it became a place to escape with Tsueno when Shiho returned to the estate after college, giving birth to Maho at home. With things always tense with her mother, Shiho would drag her then-husband into these very woods, of course, to enjoy some peace as a happy, lovey couple, resorting to acting like some love-struck teenagers than young adults, but they didn't care. Before long, their activities became more intimate, leading to Miho being born

Even after Miho was brought into this world, Shiho and Tsueno still came to these woods to escape Nayoko's iron grip. That all ended when Nayoko quietly passed away, with Shiho having to fully take on her responsibilities to the family, leaving behind these very woods that would only enjoy the presence of her daughters when they were old enough and would play here regularly.

It's been almost fifteen years since I walked this trail...the last time was when Miho and Maho wanted me to come with them to play in the woods...why does every time I think about those times, it feels like another life...one separated from the time I turn back to the Nishizumi style truly and leaving my daughters behind...

Shiho thought, as she sighed once more, being reminded how much had changed when she reverted to her severe self so long ago on that fateful day her husband's infidelity was made known.

Seeing her mistress in some distress, Kikuyo spoke up. "It's a bit nostalgic being in these woods. The last time I was here was because Lady Miho and Maho wanted me to walk with them."

"I remember coming home that day to find you all cake with mud and wet as well," Shiho replied, looking at her maid with a playful look.

A nervous chuckle escapes Kikuyo's mouth. "It was because Lady Miho had tried to grab a fish by hand from the pond, but she missed and fell in. So I panicked and went to grab her, with Maho following. Nearly gave me a heart attack when that happened."

"That was Miho at the age; I often forget how adventurous she was then. Always getting muddy or dirty when she plays, never quite becoming the lady I expected of her, but made me smile all the same," Shiho spoke softly, her mind flooding with images of her youngest bright smile.

"Lady Maho was the same, though she did her best as the older sister to keep Miho out of danger," Kikuyo added.

"Yes," Shiho nodded in response. "I ask a lot of Maho when looking out for Miho. Especially when Tsueno and I were fighting, so much responsibility lay on her at such a young age. Yet she did it without complaint, even after Tsueno left, and I became such a monster."