Chapter 27

Yeji

I walked to the Kitchen and saw my other three dorm mates already having breakfast.

"Morning."

I nodded, still not awake enough to speak.

"Who cooked?" I asked as I noticed the food on the table. Yuqi definitely did not know how to.

"I did. I was the designated cook back in our old dorm", Soyeon smirked at me. I sat down and ate, not wanting to miss a breakfast that's finally home cooked.

"Did you guys also prepare for the solo? I know you just came in yesterday but it seems like there'll be a selected audience that will watch today's performances", I asked as I took a bite of the toast.

"We did. It was a little short-notice but we were able to pull something out", Minnie answered me this time.

We finished our meal and decided to meet at the studio.

All of us gathered in the largest studio of the company. The audience were provided chairs and there's a makeshift stage in the middle of it for the performers.

This solo might be a make or break moment for some of the trainees. We are now down to 10, including the two new transfers - which is saying a lot. We are a year in and we've lost more than a dozen. There are a couple of girls who are on the verge of failing, hoping that this solo is the redeeming factor that they're looking for.

As for Yuqi and myself, we focused on showing the side that we haven't really shown amongst all the previous performances yet.

I've prepared my routine several months ago and I haven't gotten the right timing to perform it yet. Until today.

I chose to do a contemporary piece to a song called "Lose" by Niki (You can listen to the song to have an idea of the emotions here).

I made and finished the choreography several months ago when I started feeling like I was losing her.

Well... I did.

And I haven't revisited this piece to avoid hurting all over again. But for today's performance, I felt like I could.

"You look nervous. That's the first", Yuqi said as she sat beside me.

"I'm doing it." Yuqi perked up the instant she realized what I was talking about.

"No shit. You're doing the routine? I can't wait to see it."

Before I could answer, Minnie and Soyeon arrived and sat next to us.

Soon after, they started calling us one by one.

I walked towards the middle with deep breaths.

For the past year, I've shown everyone how I can dance to hip hop, R&B, and other types of modern music, and how my technical skills improve as we go through each week. But I've never really shown most of my vulnerable side yet.

Today, I'm prepared to pour my heart out on stage.

The piano started to envelope the studio as the lights turned dimmer, my silhouette the only visible thing on the makeshift stage.

I will never know if you love me

Or my company

The singer's voice filled up the studio as I opened my already teary eyes.