Good News

Chapter 19

Yeji

I was itching to have an alone time with Ryujin but the girls were with us the whole night.

Don't get me wrong, I love all of them and I'm beyond thankful that they've been with us for the whole timeline of this dance off.

Winning felt really good, too. I think I still need more time to actually process that just danced in front of thousands of people in the audience and watching on TV, and had the best time of my life doing so.

After we won, I got a bunch of messages from my family, Karina, and some of my old friends back home. I've gotten missed calls and voice messages, too. I've put off reading and answering them tomorrow.

Tonight, I'm staring at my phone waiting for one person's message. Even though she's only in the other room, I feel embarrassed to go to her since she might already be sleeping.

I was prepared to stay up all night and recall the moments of the competition when my phone lit up.

"Yeddeong. Are you still up?"

I immediately texted back, not caring how it might seem like I was waiting for her message all night. Because I am.

"Yes."

In a few seconds, I heard her door opening and I opened mine to greet her.

She looks so good in this light.

It's late so the house is dark but the light from the street post illuminates through the open window and I can see her smile from where I was standing.

We said our hellos and led her inside.

I realized that this is her first time in my room. I opened my lights and it took her a minute to take in how everything is neatly arranged in their places.

"Wow. This room is cleaaan", she dragged the last word to emphasize it.

I chuckled.

I sat on the bed and patted the space next to me.

"You wanna sit?" She gulped but proceeded to sit beside me.

We sat in silence for a minute when we both decided to break the ice.

"So-" we said at the same time.

"No, please. Go on", she was quick to recover from it.

"I was just about to ask why you were still up. And congratulations, by the way. You were really good in all the rounds", I looked at her this time.

"Are you kidding me? You took me by surprise when you led the freestyle!" and the conversation grew lighter, and longer. We didn't notice the hours go by and we talked until both of us grew exhausted and ended up lying side by side in my bed.

We're on our side, looking at each other like drunk teenagers who discovered attraction for the first time.

I couldn't resist and decided to just let it go.

I reached out and caressed her cheek. The way she closed her eyes and held my hand tells me she's been waiting for it, too.

We had lots of contact during practices and when dancing but it's nothing like this - intentional, and lingering. She moved closer and hugged me, my head buried in her chest as I heard her heart beating.

"I've been wanting to do this", she whispered.

"Hug me?" I whispered back.

"Keep you".