Talking Feelings

Chapter 4

Ryujin

I never thought coming into the studio earlier than usual has been worth it 'til now.

As I walked towards the door, I saw some of the usual early birds inside. But this time, they're watching someone - a familiar figure rounding the center of the dance floor with her grace. She seemed to be listening to an upbeat song in her headphones and didn't hear us come in.

By the looks of it, this is not rehearsed at all. She stops a little too long before moving to the next part of the choreography, seemingly feeling the flow of music and letting her body move to it.

If you could describe 'captivating' without words, this would be it.

She looks even more beautiful dancing. This is ridiculous. Where did this woman come from?

Shaking my head, I walked towards her. She stopped dancing now, and is aware that several people have been watching her.

"They're not kidding, you are good". This made her whip her head towards me.

The funny thing is, she doesn't even seem to know how good she is. I've now made it my personal mission to help her realize her potential. You intrigue me, Yeji. Now, let me help you out.

*

After the whole announcement by Ms Momo, everyone dispersed and started to plan out their auditions next week.

"Gosh, an opportunity to dance on National Television but they're only getting 6 out of us?" Yuna snickered.

I understand her frustration. We have roughly 25 students per level, so we have to compete with 100 students to get a spot.

"We all know how ridiculously good the junior and senior dancers are, we probably don't even have a chance", she added.

I was about to agree when I saw Yeji busy checking out some video on her phone.

"Earth to Yeji?", everyone directed their attention towards her.

"Oh, sorry. Did you guys need something from me?" She looked up, flustered.

"Erm... Nothing specific. But you've been quiet during the whole conversation. Were you even listening to us?" I smirked.

"Oh, sorry." She's flustered, as usual, when someone gives her attention. "I was just going through my playlist, thinking of what song to use for the audition." She grinned at me this time, smiling so much her eyes disappeared.

"You're giddy", I smiled back.

"I'm excited to show them what I got", she said straight up then brought back her attention to her phone.

This is going to be good. I can already tell.

*

The week was full of preparations, dancing, rushing to book studio spaces, late night practices and dinners alone. Everyone's doing their best to perfect their audition pieces and snatch up a spot on the crew for the dance off.

On Friday afternoon, I decided to wrap up early with practice and get some rest. When I arrived at the dorm, I saw Lia in my bed. Again.

"Hey", she greeted as she looked up from her laptop.

"Lia" I said, nodding. "Maybe we should talk about this whole sleeping in my room thing", I pulled up a chair and sat beside her.

"What's there to talk about?" She shrugged, as if it's the most natural thing in the world to sleep in your ex (almost) lover's room whenever you feel like it.

"I know I never said anything about not being okay with you sleeping here. But I think we should address it and put some boundaries between us" I started.

She looked at me, not saying anything.

"What I'm saying is... it has been so long since we... you know... tried dating. You've seen other men after that. And I've never had complaints that you come here when you're lonely or when you miss sleeping next to someone. But..." I trailed off.

"But what, Ryujin?"

"But this isn't healthy at all. Look, sometimes I need my alone time, too. I don't want Chaer and the girls thinking that we're at it again. You know how messy it was when we decided to end it".

Lia and I dated for a while during the beginning of freshman year. We met in the preparatory classes before university started - that's when we figured that we both found each other attractive. When we got assigned in the same dorm at the start of freshman year, we were inseparable. We took the same minor classes, we went on dates outside campus. Basically everything that girlfriends do, we've done it.

However, we weren't so lucky when her Dad found out. He threatened to cut Lia's financial support if she didn't break up with me. We did the logical thing, of course. We broke up and stopped talking for a while to appease his Dad.

I thought that after a while, we'd start talking again and mend things. But only 2 months after the break up, she told us that she's seeing someone new.

Everything went downhill from there.

"Is it really because of Chaer and Yuna? Or is this because you have your eye on a specific cat-eyed girl right now?" Lia's facing me now, with a look on her face that I don't quite understand.

"You're being ridiculous."

Why is she bringing Yeji into this again? And what's the big deal if I do find her attractive.

"Just tell me to back off because you found someone who takes care of you better than I do. Then I'll leave without a word." She started to gather her things. "But I'm telling you, Ryu, that girl has her eye on something else. And unless you give her the assurance that a performing career can give her, she will not look at you the same."

"Don't say I didn't warn you".

With that, she's gone.

Why is she making a big deal out of this? I find her attractive, there's nothing more to it.

Right?