Apologies

Chapter 13

Yeji

In the next several weeks, I avoided Ryujin on purpose. We only see each other in dance classes which happens very seldom now since we're always excused to practice in the other studio with the crew. I join group dinners in the dorm as seldom as possible, mostly focusing on Chaer and Yuna when joining the conversations.

I had a very long phone call with Karina, a friend from home and told her what has been happening.

-

"It has been forever! How have you been? We miss you back here".

Karina is my oldest friend. We grew up together and attended the same school back home. She knows everything about me.

"I know, I'm sorry. Everything's been... busy", I said weakly.

"Hmmm." I can tell that she already senses something off.

"So tell me about school! Your Umma said you're staying in a dorm with several other girls?"

"School is fine. There are so many talented people here, I'm scared I'd get swallowed in the background. So I worked my ass off and got myself a spot on a crew formed to compete on a dance offff", I said excitedly.

"I knew it! I knew you'd ace it there", she answered back. "So, any interesting stories about your roommates? Have you developed any crushes?" She giggled.

Swallowing nervously, I started telling her about the girls, and the Ryujin incident. She listened intently and tried not to cut me off with her questions and comments.

"Wait, so Ryujin and Lia are dating?"

"Yes. No. I mean, I'm not sure. They're always together and Lia stays in Ryujin's room a lot. And the kissing incident pretty much confirmed it."

"Uh huh. But you said you saw Ryujin pushed her off of her to call you. Why would she do that? And that they've been acting weird around each other recently."

"Yeah, she did. And they are. I don't know. I really haven't talked to her or anyone about it."

"Why haven't you? You should just apologize and carry on. It's hard to be in a non-talking relationship with someone you live with", she says in a monotone voice. But I know she's on to something. "It's not a big deal, right?", she added.

"It's not", I answered defensively.

"So why haven't you apologized yet if it's not? You're not the one to feel this embarrassed for a long time. You cannot even last half a day not apologizing over a spilled milk".

"I don't know... I feel weird around her".

"Is she pretty?" The question came out of nowhere and I coughed out of surprise.

"Well, they all are."

"I'm asking particularly about her." Karina can be very persistent when she wants to learn something. But she won't put it in your mouth and instead wait for you to say it yourself.

"Yeah, she is pretty" I hesitated. "And a good dancer, too. Has a sense of humor and she genuinely cares about people" I found myself saying, totally unplanned.

"Uh huh", I can already imagine Karina's smirk on the other line.

"What? Just say it, Karina." I said, trying to sound annoyed, but failing.

"Oh, it's nothing. You just seem to have developed an interest in this Ryujin person. You contemplate that one and talk about the progress next week, okay?"