Night of Clarity

Chapter 16

Ryujin

I am in disbelief that I was actually able to ask Yeji out.

I don't know what to call this yet. And it's definitely not a date as I would've planned something better if it is.

I just know that she makes me feel... excited? agitated? hopeful?

She makes me look forward to the days that are coming, and I have never felt so... alive. Yes. That's the right way to put it.

However this hang out will turn out, I'm just glad that she seems to enjoy being with me as much as I do.

I showered and spent most of the afternoon picking up what clothes to wear. We agreed to meet at 7PM, an hour from now, and I still haven't decided anything.

I had to remind myself that I told her to pick something comfortable so I shouldn't sweat it. I grabbed a muscle shirt and pulled a black hoodie over it, got into my favorite pair of jeans and white shoes.

I decided to go out of the living room earlier as I find it less awkward waiting than being the one being waited on. As I was doing some internal pep talk for the non-date, Chaer entered the dorm and saw me.

She broke into a teasing smile even before she reached me.

"You're kind of dressed up", she opened the conversation.

I couldn't help but smile back, feeling amused how she knew me so well.

"And is that... perfume I'm smelling?" she continued the teasing.

"I have plans to hang out with someone tonight". I said, trying to sound bland.

"With who?" She challenged me.

I shrugged, hoping that she'd let it go.

"Someone I don't know, I assume? Since you won't tell me".

She turned to walk towards her room when I heard another door open.

"Yeji!" Chaer exclaimed.

Of course, it's Yeji.

"You're also kinda dressed up", I can hear the amusement in her voice.

"Also?" Yeji asked.

I couldn't see them but I can already imagine her crossed brows with her question.

"Just have a good time and don't come home too late, aight?"

I heard Chaer finally closed the door to her room.

Yeji stepped into the living room, obviously surprised to see me. She turned red as realization dawned on her regarding Chaer's statement.

"Ryu".

It's the first time that she actually called me by that nickname. It sounds so good coming from her.

"Hey", I stood up and smiled.

"So Chaer..." she trailed off.

"Yup".

"Are you okay with her knowing?" She looked slightly scared of what my response would be.

"Of course. Why wouldn't I be?" I moved closer, giving her an instant assurance.

She nodded.

"Good to go?" She nodded again, but she's smiling back this time.

I brought her to my favorite restaurant near the city. The cab ride was silent but comfortable. I can sense that she's also trying to figure out a lot of things in her head and this is probably the best chance that we have to talk about it.