CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX,

"IT CAN'T BE Kate! No! This has to be some kind of mistake, I refuse to believe it." Jocelyn Wushire was clearly less calm of an individual than Analisa Doherty as she stared in utter disbelief, furiously shaking her head. "Are you certain? I thought it was said that she's being framed!"

"She's already admitted to it, I'm afraid," Irina said gently, being the only person in the room who hadn't had any open bad relationships with the Caershireen woman. To be fair, Jocelyn Wushire probably didn't recognise Io, who was in a wholly different disguise than last time, and quite a few years had passed. But both Asteria and Danna had agreed that it might be best for Irina to do most of the talking this time around.

"No, no, there must be something else. Kate wouldn't do something like that. She's a good person!"

Clearly, Miss Wushire had some grand delusion about Katharine Morenshire's feelings towards her. Because Katharine had displayed nothing but dislike for the other woman, even if she never showed it directly. But it was still clear to anyone with eyes.

"Good people make mistakes," Irina said, continuing on her mission to calm the woman down first. Her reaction seemed genuine enough, much like Analisa McDoherty, and fit with her character perfectly. From Asteria and Danna's expressions, they agreed. Not her. Though they hadn't precisely suspected her much either. Unless Miss Wushire had been hiding her true self for the past four years or more, considering her younger sister's testimony, this plan didn't seem like something she could come up with.

And most of all, Miss Wushire simply wasn't manipulative enough to lure someone of Lady Katharine's status into a plot like this.

"But not mistakes like this," Miss Wushire wailed. "What will happen to her, Your Highness?"

"We will have her returned to Arecia for judgement," Irina assured. "Do not worry, she'll be alright. But we have questions for you. Is there anything you might know that caused Lady Katharine to do such a thing?"

"Well," Miss Wushire said between sniffles, "Kate always disliked you, but you already knew that." She twirled a piece of blonde hair in her fingers. "But oh, I didn't think it was enough to try and kill you!"

"We agree," Asteria said, face cold. "So do you know any triggers that might have made her do it? Something or someone? Anyone she's been particularly close to in the past while that's unexpected?"

Miss Wushire shook her head. "No, I can't think of anyone. Kate doesn't talk to a lot of people, generally sticks to me, Analisa and Valeria."

Well, that only left one major suspect left. But it could also very well mean that Lady Katharine was careful in hiding her association with this accomplice, which would make this a tad more difficult to go around. Lady Katharine might not have been seen around this person at all, making the list they had composed utterly useless. If that was the case, they'd have to rely on Lady Katharine, and she seemed to be quite the stubborn person from what Irina had seen so far.

Irina did not particularly want to entertain the thought that they let this mastermind go at large. For starters, it'd mean all the blame falls on Lady Katharine, which might worsen Arecian-Saian relations. Then, she just didn't feel... safe, knowing someone like this was still out there, waiting, biding their time.

What if they struck during the wedding itself? In the chaos and massive crowds of people, it would be easy. And they might not stop it in time. That would just be disastrous on the highest level, especially if she was harmed in the process.

No, they had to catch the murderer before it was too late.

Two days. It ought to be enough time. And while they might have let Lady Katharine off easily, this person would not have it as pleasant.