CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN,

THE ROOM WAS deathly silent.

  Prince Frederick said, "I don't bloody believe it." It was the first time Irina had seen the prince, who was usually always smiling, with an expression so stony.

  Irina dipped her head. "I'm afraid it was the truth."

  "Kate wouldn't... Kate wouldn't..."

  General Stoneworth, still clearly hurting from his ribs though he was doing an excellent job at hiding it, said, "Jealousy makes people do many things. Most of them awful."

"But it's Kate," Prince Frederick argued. "It's Kate. We grew up with her. We know everything about her. She's not that kind of person. She'd never hurt a soul. No way in hell someone could rope her into a scheme like this..."

  "I believe it," General Stoneworth said, though he didn't raise his head to meet anyone's eyes. "I hate to say it, but I believe it. I think that hate in her heart for you was strong enough to commit such a heinous act, Your Highness."

  "I feel awful, truly, to have to deliver such terrible news to you. Her fate is in your hands, we would not interfere regarding it," Irina said earnestly. Well, she wouldn't interfere unless they decided to let her go completely scot free. In which case she would do something about it, because she'd always been someone who held a grudge.

  She turned to Stephen then, who'd remained painful quiet throughout all this. He hadn't  said a word as she spoke, and not a single flicker of emotion had appeared on his face. That terrified her. They were friends, him and Kate. What if they had guessed wrong, and he had harboured some feelings for Lady Katharine?

  It was too late to call off the marriage, but what kind of life would it be, to have a husband who despised you?

  But he just looked deep in thought now, pensive as he tapped his chin, eyes shut.

  They waited, but he still said nothing.

   So Frederick spoke again. "God blast it. Kate's not that kind of person. You're certain it was her?"

  "She admitted it herself," Irina said apologetically. "I'm sorry, but..."

  "Any chance she's being threatened?" Frederick demanded.

  "Without us knowing?" Stoneworth scoffed. "Please." His lips tugged down. "I expected better from her."

  Stephen's eyes opened then, flickering to him. "You knew."

  "That she was in love with you? Of course I did."

  Frederick blinked, turning towards him. "You knew? And you never told anyone?"

  "What was the point?" Stoneworth asked, tilting his head. "It would just make things awkward. And I didn't think she stood a chance anyway. Stephen, let's be honest here, you never looked at her as anything more than a sister. That was all she ever was to you."

  "I never did," Stephen agreed, and Irina let out a quiet breath of relief. "But you should have told me. Then I'd have found a way to... dissuade her."

  "Which would cause a rift between you," Stoneworth sneered. "That was what I was trying to avoid. Me, I always just thought she'd keep it to herself. Not do anything to you. When I  confronted her about it it seemed like she knew perfectly well you were not for her. Both your fates laid elsewhere. I didn't think she'd do anything so extreme. My mistake.'

  "But... but..."

  Stoneworth's cool, grey eyes turned to Frederick. "You wanted her."

  Frederick swallowed. "Once."