CHAPTER FIVE,

OF IRON AND CROWNS | FIVE

THE THINGS YOU dreaded always came fast. One week passed. The Arecians arrived this afternoon, according to schedule. And then the other guests would gradually trickle in, bit by bit, bit by bit, since some of the guests weren't coming as large groups but individually.

Irina waited in Gui Yan Gong, a book in hand. Justine and Myrina were with her. Asteria had gone out to arrange something. What, Irina hadn't managed to hear. Probably something to do with the guests and all that, since it was all anyone and anything could think about today.

Justine said, "How are you feeling?" which, in her opinion, was a wholly idiotic thing to say. But it was clear her friend was desperately trying to start a conversation, perhaps to calm her nonexistent nerves (she was lying).

So Irina tilted her head and said, "Rather wonderful, thank you. I look fine?"

Myrina shrugged. "Prince Stephen will be pleased."

Irina said, wryly, "I'm not dressed up to please him. I'm dressed up to give the entirety of Sai some face."

"How kind and sacrificing of you," Justine nodded, the sarcasm clear in her voice. "All you have to do to contribute to Sai's great future is to look nice in a pretty dress. Meanwhile, the rest of us bleed away on fields of corpses and bones."

Myrina frowned. "That's a bit of an exaggeration. Irina has—"

Justine deadpanned, "It was a joke."

Myrina fell silent. Irina's eyes darted between the two and she sighed. "Let's not start skirmishes among ourselves when guests are arriving so soon. We must get along today, yes?"

"Of course, of course," Justine nodded. "My apologies, Myrina."

The countess replied, as expected, "It's fine. I didn't realise... well I did. I don't know why I..." her voice trailed off, and she turned her head towards the door. Irina didn't hear anything, but Myrina was wiccai, so her hearing was superior.

A moment later, Ryan walked into the room.

Myrina's wiccai status was something kept a secret from the rest of the world. Only a select few people knew about it—not even Ryan knew. It was why Irina kept her around, refused to let her leave court and live as some recluse. First, because that was not truly the life Myrina wanted—she was just scared, and second because Myrina could contribute so much more. Irina was someone who depended on the talent around her. She did not want to waste a single person.

Myrina stood, as did Justine. Irina tilted her head. "Biao ge." Cousin.

"Are you ready?" Ryan asked, sending a quick, distracted nod to both Justine and Myrina in greeting.

"We still have a couple hours." Irina raised her chin. "But yes, I'm more or less ready."

"Yeah, about that," Ryan winced. "They're already in the city. The journey was a bit too smooth, you see, they're going to arrive in around half an hour, I assume."

Irina shot up. "You have to be fucking kidding me."

Myrina murmured, "Language, Irina. The Prince would not be pleased to hear you speaking like that."

Irina snapped, "I truly couldn't care less right now, you see. Half an hour? Everything is prepared for them? Oh, bloody hell. Is the food and dimsum for Fujin Gong prepared?"

"Everything is fine." Justine rubbed her arm. "It'll be fine, it'll be fine. Just calm down. Everything will be okay."

👑