CHAPTER FOURTEEN,

"THAT WAS NICE of them," Irina murmured. "Although they were painfully clearly just trying to fish for information, would you not agree?"

  Justine snorted, then winced. Irina didn't have to be told as she quickly helped Justine take a gulp of water. She said, "Well, it was still a kind sentiment, I suppose. Even if there was another reason behind it all."

  "Flowers," Irina laughed. "I can't believe they brought you flowers."

  Justine glanced up ruefully. "I don't hate flowers, you know. I'm just rather indifferent to them in the grand sense. I do find them pretty once in a while. Those are nice ones."

  "I'll have someone put it in a vase for you," Irina told her. "Get some rest. I demand you to get some. I want you back on your feet as soon as possible, but because you genuinely could be, and not because you're forcing your body to the very limit. Do you understand?"

  Justine shut her eyes as she slumped down. "You know I abhor feeling useless and laying in a bed like this."

  "You could go do things and then collapse, or you could remain here and then continue on with your work." Irina raised her chin. "Your choice."

  Justine's eyes fluttered open. "Oh, bloody hell. If you want me to rest, go. I can't sleep with you looking over me here, you know. My brain doesn't work that way."

  "Oh what, do I stress you out?" Irina asked, one brow arched.

  "Yes," Justine replied pointedly. "In fact, you do. You really, really do. I don't know if you've noticed, but you have that particular effect on people."

  "I'm offended. But fine, I'll go. You enjoy your rest—I'll call the physicians to come check up on you and see what to do next. They said a couple more days in bed. The poison's out of your system, but you're still weak. No physical activities for a while. That means no training."

  "This is not the first time I've been injured."

  "But clearly you do not have a track record of staying still when that happens. We all remember what happened with your leg."

  Justine winced. "Let's not mention that. Makes me cold just thinking about it. Dark times, Irina, those were dark, dark times. So. No idea who it is?"

  Irina tilted her head. "I've done some searching. As have the others, I assume. We meet in around an hour, technically to start our discussion and investigation, but really... It's just compiling everything we've managed to discover. I'd ask them to meet here instead, but I think you need some peace and quiet."

  Justine said, "Just tell me what you discover."

  "When we find them," Irina raised her chin, "you'll be in charge of their punishment. It's only fair."

  Justine's smile stretched into a grin. "This side of you is the best side, in my opinion. You learned it in the army camps."

  "I did." Irina rose. "I'll go now, I need to meet up with some of the servants to see what they may have discovered. I told them to await me in Ning Yu Gong at this hour. You'll be fine?"

  "I will be perfectly alright. I've had worse."

  Irina nodded. "I'll see you then." She left the room. Outside, three taiyi were gathered, waiting. Irina gave them a nod. "Xie xie ni men le." Thank you all. "I'll be taking my leave now, do monitor her condition and ensure that she's alright. If anything happens, send me a message."

  "Of course, Your Highness. Has, ah, it been discovered who the culprit is behind this unfortunate incident?" The physician who had answered was rather young, probably one of the newly graduated apprentices. And it explained his excitement for chi gua, the drama. If this could be considered drama, which Irina supposed could be for an outsider. It had more stakes if you were the person who the poison was intended for, but she could understand his mentality.