CHAPTER NINE,

"THE CAERSHIREENS AND Wheldrakians," Danna mused as they left the two delegates at their respective residences. They all seemed to be going to Gui Yan Gong now, some kind of instinct and string tugging them to their little meeting place. The string was Irina, of course, who'd most probably headed there after welcoming the new guests. "And just like that, we are now the minority within our own Palace."

  "Danna," Asteria scolded.

  Io shrugged. "It's true."

  It hadn't just been the three of them for a while. They'd all been busy, even though they'd mostly stayed in the country. Danna stayed in half-retirement, in that little house of hers outside the Palace. Asteria herself, meanwhile, stayed with her father, learning the ropes, managing the departments and their inner intricacies. Iolanthe had been the only one popping in and out of Sai, but she still remained in the continent. Kon Ria, Asayama, Cheonuang, Gira. She jumped around those countries, passing on messages and information.

  Asteria sighed, "Would Volkov's presence shut you up, Danna?"

  "No one's presence can shut me up," Danna replied. "You've known me for long enough."

  "For some reason," Asteria drawled, "I still hope on the daily that one day you'd know when  to and when not to open  your mouth."

  "I do," Danna said,  "I just choose to ignore that part of my brain, that's all."

  'That doesn't seem very wise."

  It was Io who responded, her head tilted, "Not everyone can possess your intellect, Asteria. Give the rest of us a break."

  'That is nowhere near what I was saying and you know it." Io had become... difficult to deal with. She'd always been a little bit sassy, a little bit rebellious, but that had been tolerable. It had been fun, almost. Now it seemed full of malice, the same way Danna was.

  Funny how fast they'd all changed in the past few years. A snap of the fingers, just like that, and Asteria almost thought the other two girls felt like strangers. People she could no longer understand. She still loved them, and she knew they loved her too, but it was... impossible to speak to them without wanting to rip her own hair out.

  That never used to happen before. They used to all get along so well, being able to read each other like a book.

  Perhaps this was a side effect of growing up and going their separate ways. Everyone had different experiences, dealt with them differently, faced consequences that were not the same. And eventually, they just became different. People they could no longer recognise when they looked in the mirror.

  Asteria would get used to it eventually, it was just a bit alarming right now. It had been happening gradually for years now, but it wasn't until recently it had truly snapped with her. Everything was changing. Irina was going to be gone in a few weeks. Everyone was going to go down their own paths. Some of them may not intercept as much as they hope.

  Io replied, "Does it matter?"

  Asteria found herself too tired to respond. She walked ahead as Danna and Io followed on her heels, beginning a quiet conversation on something she had no interest in. This was the way things ran these days. She had gone from the leader of their little trio to the odd one out. Eventually she'd be ousted. Io and Danna's bond had grown far stronger than either of their bonds with her during their three years at Melique.

  So be it. Asteria found no point dwindling on fading relationships. It would do her so much more favour to seek new ones. At least Max still kept in regular touch. Their letters never stopped, their lengths never diminished, only grew. At least she could rely on that one constant. And he was here now, albeit busy currently. That was nice.