"Hes just an empty shell of a person" (Emotionless Tanjiro)

Dead Nezuko AU ~Emotionless Tanjiro ~After losing Nezuko to a hashira he stopped slaying demons due to them constantly reminding him of his little sister despite how aggressive they were

Dead Nezuko AU
~Emotionless Tanjiro
~After losing Nezuko to a hashira he stopped slaying demons due to them constantly reminding him of his little sister despite how aggressive they were.
~The song above is "Supermarket Flowers" By Ed sheeran it's about his dead grandmother, I think it fits perfectly with this oneshot. It's also my favorite Ed sheeran song
~Play it while reading
————————————
[3rd person]
It was the day after fighting lower 5 on the mountain, his beloved little sister protecting him, protecting him from lower 5's attack, she sacrificed her body being cut into pieces for her brother. It feels like just yesterday she was young and innocent, dancing around happily outside with Tanjiro and their parents. But all happy things eventually come to an end, unfortunately that happened to Tanjiro when Nezuko was beheaded by the wind pillar. He despises all of the Hashira's, the only one he doesn't blame is Giyuu, he was the one who saved and kept her alive as Tanjiro fells to his knees crying and begging for his sister's life to be spared.

But in the end her life and eventual return to human life was cut short after she was stabbed multiple times by the wind pillar which made her lose a lot of blood, when the wind pillar sliced his arm she couldn't resist his blood. He remembers watching in horror as his little sister's head was cut off and rolled to him, tears in her eyes as she slowly disintegrated to ash, he remembers screaming and crying in pain as he felt his heart get torn to pieces, like someone had reached inside of him and ripped his heart into pieces, he felt every ounce of hope and emotion leave his body as his piercing cries and screams were heard. It took knocking him out for the kakushi's to pry him away from his little sisters kimono and hair ribbon.

It's been almost 2 years since that fateful day and he's retired from slaying demons, every demon he slayed he was reminded of his sister and imagined her as them, he couldn't handle imagining himself beheading his sister each time he was sent on missions, he also knew his life was gonna be cut short from him activating his demon slayer mark during final selection.

Kanao, Inosuke, and Zenitsu grew stronger as Tanjiro sat in the butterfly mansion helping Shinobu create medicine and new poisons for her, even seeing injured slayers reminded him of his sister clutching their baby brother as she laid in a puddle in their blood. He couldn't stand it, ultimately Shinobu agreed to let him help her with medicines and poisons.

Everything he would lay in his room sobbing as he clutched his sister kimono, haori, and ribbon close to him. The only emotion he ever showed was sadness, he never showed joy or anger ever again since the fateful day. His sister was everything to him, it pained everyone around him seeing him in this state, his friends tried their best comforting him and restoring his emotions but all of it was always unsuccessful.

"He's just an empty shell of a person." He would hear Shinobu say when Mitsuri, Giyuu, or Rengoku checked up on him, they're the only ones who cared about him, showed him genuine love and guilt for what happened, something he hasn't received from anyone other than his friends since.

"Tanjiro-kun, we brought you some udon, we heard it's your favorite. Maybe you'll cheer up a little bit?" Mitsuri would say walking in with a tray of udon and rice, with a smile on her face full of love, sorrow, guilt, and kindness, he smelled nothing malicious from her. Of course he loves her like a big sister but it can't fill that emptiness in his heart that he feels, he pretends to be happy, he pretends to be okay, he pretends he isn't suffering or in pain, but the others know he isn't.

The only person Tanjiro shows the smallest bit of emotion towards is Tomioka, just like himself, Tanjiro feels like he doesn't deserve to be the one alive, he believes he should be the one dead while his sister should live. He never wanted things to end up as they did, he wanted to cure Nezuko, he wanted to keep her safe, he wanted to help her. But his efforts were turned to dust, if Nezuko hadn't been stabbed and lost so much blood that day and if the pillars blood wasn't the rare kind demons strive for, maybe just maybe she would still be alive.

He thanks the mast greatly for letting him and Tomioka live after seeing the boys pain, he himself felt his heart ache hearing the boy scream and cry in pain, you didn't need to see him to understand the pain he was feeling.

"Tanjiro, please say you're getting thin and we're worried about you. Nezuko wouldn't want you like this." Mitsuri says feeling her eyes tear up as she looks at Tanjiro hunched over Nezuko's haori tightly wrapped around him. She wishes she could go back in time and stop what happened, she wishes she could bring back that light in tanjiro's eyes she briefly saw, the light the brought you comfort and joy whenever you saw them, she wishes she could bring that back.

But she knows no matter how bad someone may try it's impossible to repair someone who's heart has been shredded into so many pieces, she knows that feeling all too well. Tomioka knows that feeling better than anyone else, maybe that's why Tomioka is able to get some sort of emotion out of the boy, maybe she needs to be open and comfort him, show him that she knows what it's like, maybe just maybe, then he'll begin opening up again.

"Tanjiro-Kun, I'll stay here and eat with you. I understand what it's like having your heart torn to shreds. Will me eating with you help?" She asks keeping her voice calm and gentle, hiding the traces of sadness and guilt in her voice. She smiles a little when Tanjiro nods his head slightly, she doesn't understand why the others despise him, yes he was traveling with a demon but do they not having even the slightest bit of sympathy when hearing the boys loaned cries. The second she heard this painful cries she immediately felt incredibly guilty, she felt like she had to be there to make up for not being there for both of them even if she had just met them, she felt she owed her life to the now 17 year old.

She sits down next to Tanjiro grabbing her own food, she glances over making sure Tanjiro is eating, once she sees him eating a little she smiles and starts eating herself.

"Tanjiro, maybe it'll lighten your mood if we talk about your favorite things to do?" She asks being very carefully how she words things so she doesn't set him off, people like this are very emotionally and mentally vulnerable and lash out when the words aren't formed correctly, she's seen it so many times herself but it still pains her everytime.

"I don't have anything I like to do anymore, I guess I enjoy helping Shinobu." He says his voice remaining monotone as he eats his food.

'That's a start' Mitsuri says to herself

"I enjoy braiding my hair and reading romance novels." She says glancing at Tanjiro.

"Cool." He says simply, she sighs as she finishes eating.

"I'll take your dishes to the kitchen for you, I'll come back tomorrow, bye!" She says walking out

"How's Tanjiro doing?" Kanao asks when Mitsuri enters the kitchen. Mitsuri senses the concern in the girl's gaze.

"He's doing fine I think? I got to talk a bit." She says.

"Will he be okay?" Kanao asks her voice wavering slightly, even seeing Tanjiro the way he is she still can't help but crush on the boy. She wants him to get better.

"I'm not sure Kanao, I hope he will be." Mitsuri says gently holding Kanao's hands. "It'll be a long process as he's been like this for almost 2 years, like Shinobu-Chan said, he's just an empty shell of a person right now, it'll take a lot to get back to the person he was."

"Did he eat well?" Kanao asks

"Yes, I made sure he did." Mitsuri says.

"I just want him to get better, I love him so much." Kanao says feeling herself want to cry, the only time she ever showed emotion was when she saw Tanjiro become that empty shell, everytime she sees the love of her life like that, she cries. Maybe one day she can show him the love he had.

"One day when you meet a boy you love Kanao, you too will feel your world light up" ~ Kanae

Word count: 1491