27. Dressing gown & no shoes

• RICHARD FORD •

I'll admit, at first I thought I was overthinking it

I'll admit, at first I thought I was overthinking it. When I saw Thalia, I saw all my boys in her. My ex wife and even myself too.  It felt like time just stopped. The father in me wanted to smother her and make sure she was okay. That was my instinct when I first saw her. But the responsible adult in me made me take a step back, and really think about the situation. I convinced myself I was just a little crazy. Overanalysing the situation, you could say. But I couldn't help myself, I told Nadine to bring her friend to dinner. She never showed up. I thought it was a sign that it's just a mere coincidence that she looks identical to Giovanni. But then, when she showed up to my home with Esmerelda and Peter, I was shocked, to say the least. I was thinking all kind of things. Mostly the fact that I was never aware they had children. That's probably because they didn't and they don't. Turns out, Thalias adopted. She has the same birthday as Gio, the same year and everything. It's just a coincidence. I've repeated over and over and over again to myself. But I would hate myself if I lived the rest of my life without any answers. I couldn't help myself. I used my connections to get a report on the girl. It's bad, I'm fully aware.

My guys ended up sending me the report a day or two later. That's how I've ended up here. Sat at my desk in my dimly lit office, staring at an unopened folder. I take a breath before unsealing the envelope and sliding the document out. A few sheets of paper are stapled together at the corners.

There's a picture of Thalia, she's looking at the camera with a pretty dead look on her face. I'm not quite sure what age she was in this. Perhaps, 14. Her eye bags are evident, she looks exhausted.

The document then goes on to recite:
Name: Thalia (surname unknown)
Age: 16
Date of birth: 1st of February, 2006
Birthplace: unknown
Parents: unknown
Height: 5'9
Weight: unknown

Looks like there's not much information on her. Half of the things are unknown.

The rest of the document recites all the homes she's lived in. Let me tell you, it is a long list. At one point, I thought it'd be never ending. But when I spotted the names Esmerelda and Peter Samson, I knew I had reached the long awaited end.

The main information I wanted to know, like birthplace and mother, aren't there. I can't help but feel a pang of disappointment. I feel like there has been no progress really. I have connections to some of the top guys in the industry, and if they couldn't find these things out, then I doubt anyone else can unless they actually know the girl. But she probably doesn't even know the full story herself. I doubt she does, at least.

"Hey." Axel greets, stood in the doorway.

"You look happier." I state. I discreetly put the document into one of my desk drawer.

He scoffs, rolling his eyes.

My second born son, 21 years old, still rolls his goddam eyes at me. All of my children do, but I don't know who the fuck they picked it up from. It's certainly not me.

I stand up and manoeuvre around my wooden desk and towards Axel. "So, what is it? A girl?"

"Pfft, no." He states as if it were a no brainier.

"Dad, you are a 51 year old and you are still rolling your eyes."

Okay maybe that's where they get the habit from...

"So? Why are you so happy? You landed a fight with a hood opponent... or you won a fight I didn't even know about...or you... fuck, I don't know. Help me out here, lad."I drop my arms by my side in defeat.

He rolls his eyes, again, "fine then. It's a bit of a weird one. A knock on effect, you could say. I was on my way up to Wills, and I bumped into that girl, Nadines friend, Thalia. She was... to be honest, I really don't know what she was doing. She had a dressing gown on and literally no shoes. It was a quick chat but I think she's cool. Then she just walked off, out of the building, minus clothing. But when I went up and saw Will, he was smiling. Full on smiling. Dimples out and everything. It was fucking trippy, I kid you not. I asked him if he had a good fuck and he shook his head then ignored me. I can't get the image out of my head. He looked so... giddy. Weird, weird sight."

I cross my arms, thinking for a second. "I ran into Nadines friend too... in a bad, actually. No shoes on. She told me it was because of something to do with Mother Nature. She was wearing what looked like a bed sheet but she tried to convince me that it was fashionable nowadays."

Axel laughs, "what a strange woman."

It seems like a moment of recognition passes between us. Almost like we're thinking the same thing but neither of us want to acknowledge it.

"Mandy is such a fucking bitch, brooo!" One of my frustrated sons yell, barging into my office.

I sigh, "Dom, do you mind?"

He rolls his eyes, "yeah, I do."

Axel looks rather entertained. "Bro, what did the snake do this time?"

"They didn't have the purse she wanted in stock. I swear I almost died, bro. She was mad."

"Still can't believe you're doing more than fucking." Axel states, bewildered.

I'm suprised a little too, Dominique is not the girlfriend type of man.

"She's a goooood fuck."

I wack my 18 year old son on the back of his neck lightly. "Oi, don't be disrespectful."

He puts his hands up in surrender, "yes, sir." He salutes, sarcasm laces his tone. He walks towards my desk and sits on it. He starts cracking his knuckles. "What are you two taking about anyway?"

"Nothing." Me and axel say at the same time.

All of a sudden, Dom starts laughing. A bit like a maniac, but laughing nonetheless. "Bro, you know that girl who's mates with Nadine. I saw her in Selfridges, in a dressing gown. No shoes. She started giving me a little speech on how I shouldn't disrespect Mandy. But when I came back to actually tell Mandy they didn't have the bag she wanted, she was bickering with the girl. Woman, am I right? One second they're each others biggest supporters, the next they are sworn enemies."

Axel shakes his head, puzzled. "Fucking weird. Cant believe she went out like that. I saw her leaving Will's apartment complex.
She left in the DG and I didn't pay much attention to it. But I can't believe she went out like that."

Dom laughs slightly, "she's an odd one."

"She'd fit well in this family then." I say before I can even process the sentence that has just come out my mouth.

An awkward tension laces the air.

It's definitely not just me who's weirded out by all this then.