Epilog

January 22, 2015 - Seattle

Good morning, Mr. Morrison, here is my second apartment key. Take the mail out of the mailbox and just put it in the hallway. And remember, don't let anyone in. I don't know anyone and have no family. Said the young woman smiling as she stood in the hallway in her dark blue winter coat.

What if your prince comes over this year? replied the grey-haired old man standing in the doorway of his ground floor apartment.

*Mr. Morrison still believed I needed a prince, like in a fairy tale, but I'm happy the way my life is now. I'm free and I'm going on my well-deserved vacation.* Elizabeth sighed and smiled: Then tell him I'm not at home and to come back when I get back. She checked her purse again and then said: If he really is a prince, he will find me no matter where in the world I am.

Yes my angel. Take good care of yourself. said Mr Morrison. This time he was really worried about Elizabeth, the upstairs neighbor. Even if she flew to Europe once a year in winter for 2 weeks since she moved in here more than 10 years ago, something was different today. She was so excited and full of life, although she looked pale, worn out and a little bit ill. She wore her shoulder-length blonde hair loose and wore the large gray woolen scarf around her neck in a loop. Well, it was also 6 o'clock in the morning, it was dark outside and the streets were full of snow.

I will. Say hello to the Sullivans from me and have them take their inhalers. The flu wave is here. See you in 2 weeks, then we'll see each other again. Said Elizabeth, waving goodbye to Mr. Morrison. The cab driver put her suitcase and small backpack in the trunk, then Elizabeth got into the cab.

——————

*Ladies and gentlemen, New York Airport has just been closed for all take-offs and landings due to a snowstorm. We will thus be diverted to Boston.* the pilot said calmly over the loudspeaker.

Well, great, Boston, we'll never get away from there and the snowstorm will be there tomorrow morning at the latest. grumbled the young man in his late 20s in a designer suit next to Elizabeth.

Where do you want to go? she asked to understand his irritated mood.

Well, what do you think? To New York. I have important appointments.

I'm sorry I asked, Elizabeth said quietly, looking out the window, lost in thought. It would not be easy for her either to end up in Boston and not in New York. *It's just an airport.* Elizabeth tried to stay positive, but a sharp pain began in her chest, maybe it's not just an airport.

Where do you want to go? the young man asked after a while, having apparently rearranged his appointments and calmed down.

To Europe on vacation. Elizabeth smiled at him, trying to ignore her pain. The plane would land in 30 minutes and the pain would go away when she was on the next plane to London. Then her world would be fine again, like it has been for the past 12 years.

Elizabeth knew that doctors were even the worst of patients and caught their symptoms too late, but she also knew that she had worked 4 weeks straight, was on Christmas and New Year's Eve due to someone being absent and she had every reason to be in stress related pain. 12-hour shifts in a pediatric oncology ward. Any doctor would eventually break down and develop some kind of symptoms, whether physical or mental. Well, she wasn't a doctor like any other, because she wouldn't break down just because of a little chest pain. Never give up. Trust in you. Especially since there was another reason why she developed this pain today. It was January 22nd, there was a snowstorm out there in New York and she was about to land in the city she hadn't set foot in for 15 years.