Chapter 2 - Ghosts of the past

Hello Harvey, hello Elizabeth, good to see you, said Marcus while he had just opened his front door. They greeted each other with a hug and Marcus ushered them both into his kitchen. Harvey was the last to get there with his crutches.

Hello Katie, said Elizabeth with a smile. I brought you something.

Hmm, a strawberry cake that looks delicious. said Katie in her light, flowery summer dress and hugged Elizabeth. Put it here.

Marcus told you? Elizabeth asked her quietly while they stood next to each other. Katie nodded. Unfortunately I couldn't bake it anymore, but I picked it up personally around the corner from your favorite baker.

They both waited for Marcus and Harvey to come slowly into the kitchen.

Hi Katie, said Harvey.

Hello Harvey, said Katie, walking towards him. He took her in his arms and tears were running down her cheeks. I'm so sorry for you. she said and hugged him even more and he gave her too. He could still hold back his tears.

It is OK. Katie. Do not Cry for Me. You have to be brave, Marcus and your children need you. Everything will be fine. He said encouragingly to her.

She hastily wiped the tears from her eyes and went back to the kitchen shelf next to Elizabeth, who put an arm around her comfortingly. Harvey and Marcus were facing them with some distance.

Lilly doesn't know anything yet. You have to tell her this urgently.

Yes Katie. That is why I am here.

What do we say to the children? Katie asked, slightly desperate.

The truth, said Harvey and Elizabeth at the same time. Elizabeth began: Harvey has a bad foot. There is a nasty illness in there and against this nasty illness he has to take medicine and will be often at the hospital. They are 6 and 8 years old, they still have no sense of time. They don't have to understand that it takes a long time, but they have to understand why you may be absent or sometimes sad.

It's going to be so hard for Lilly. Katie sighed as she looked desperately outside. She still tells old stories from when Marcus was so sick.

Elizabeth took the strawberry cake: Come on Katie let's take it out to the kids. As she did so, she smiled at Harvey and let her arm slide over his belly like a hug in passing. Katie followed her. When they got to the terrace, the children were already storming past them. Lilly greeted Elizabeth on the terrace while the children greeted Harvey and immediately found his crutches.

Uncle Harvey, Uncle Harvey, they came running up to him and hugged him while he crouched.

What do you need them for? asked Haylie.

I have a bad foot and I can't step on it, so I'm allowed to use it. said Harvey, because then Lilly came down the hall into the kitchen.

Come on kids, Elizabeth said she's got yummy strawberry cake. Maybe it was blueberries or raspberries. What do you all mean?

Auja strawberry cake. And then the children ran out onto the terrace with Marcus.

Harvey, good to see you, Lilly said while hugging him. How are you? What do you need these crutches for?

Hi Mum, I'm fine right now. Please sit down, I need to talk to you. said Harvey very calmly. Lilly looked a little worried now, but sat down at the kitchen table with Harvey. She was silent and waited for Harvey to say something.