Chapter 15b

Harvey was stubborn and wanted to walk the last few meters on his own legs, so in his black jogging pants and white long-sleeved port shirt, he walked to the door of the operating room, holding Elizabeth's hand. Once there, Elizabeth gave Harvey a long and gentle kiss.

I'll be right back with you. Harvey said looking into her tear filled eyes.

I love you. Elizabeth answered softly.

Harvey closed his eyes and whispered, Me too.

Then they had to separate, the anesthetic nurses had already accepted the bed and were waiting for their patient with the door open. Harvey turned and walked straight through the door.

Then the door locked and Elizabeth was left alone.

——————

Knowing all the loopholes, Elizabeth unseen came back to Mt Sinai's private oncology ward. She didn't want to see anyone until the call from the recovery room. Jacob was with Donna, Mike at the university and the OnkoClique had the day off. It was such a beautiful warm fall day with a cloudless sky over New York. So now Elizabeth was standing alone at the window front of the oncology ward in her black leggings and her white fitted knee-length blouse dress. With a hot vanilla-flavored cafe latte in hand, she let her thoughts drift away until suddenly her cell phone rang. It was Julia, one of the Pediatric Specialists at New Amsterdam. She knew Elizabeth was suspend and not working.

Julia?

Elizabeth? I'm sorry to call but I need your help. Ava's parents are fighting over custody and don't want the planned therapy. They just want to go.

Elizabeth sighed inwardly because she had seen it coming. But in the pediatric oncology department at New Amsterdam there were enough doctors who could take care of it.

Chill out. You know the findings. Calmly explain to them again that it is a very serious diagnosis and with every day that she go untreated her chances of survival decrease. Show them the protocol and explain all the therapy steps again. If they want to leave, make them sign what you told them.
Elizabeth swallowed hard. If you feel they want their child to die for whatever reason: insecurity, ignorance, or belief, discuss it with Dr. Sharp and wondering if they should have custody of them.

A silence fell. Elizabeth looked outside thoughtfully. Enough doctors out there could handle this case, she needed to be there for Harvey now. This was more important than the case on the ward at the hospital that suspended her four days ago. She was replaceable and now her replacement had to go.

Julia, if you enlighten the parents and let them share the findings, you can get them all on board. We want what is best for the child and fight for it with the parents. You can do it. Get everything signed! Her Dad is a lawyer.

Ok, I'll try my best.

Elizabeth had just hung up and was about to make herself comfortable in the patient lounge when she stopped in the doorway, puzzled. Everyone was gathered in the lounge. Donna with Emma and Jacob, Elaine, Henry, Amy, Walther and Mike. There was an creepy stillness in the room that September day. Elizabeth smiled and said, why are you here? Because of Harvey? That's just an amputation operation, not a neurosurgical masterpiece. Harvey is the best lawyer in town and has handpicked the best doctors. And they know if they mess up, one of the best law firms in town will sue them.

Everyone continued to stare sadly until Donna spoke up: Elizabeth, we all had the same feeling and thought. We didn't meet and yet we found each other because of him. our friend.

Ok, said Elizabeth and nodded. So we wait together. But then with some music to drive away the gloomy thoughts?! She put her Ipod on the station and quiet jazz music came out of the speakers. Then she walked over to Mike, who was looking thoughtfully out the window.