Chapter 7

Elizabeth took the elevator up the two floors as she was very tired from all the events of the day. She walked slowly down the long hallway to Harvey's room. She had only seen 2 patients in the long corridor, everything was quiet as always. She opened the door and stood in the entrance. The room, his room, was empty and everything was in the dark. The monitors were dark. Elizabeth walked over to the bed and sat on it wearily, the smell of Harvey's aftershave was still in the air. There on the bedside table stood the green Ford Mustang. He had stood by Harvey's side since the first chemotherapy and now he was standing here alone in the dark. As alone as Elizabeth felt, so lonely. She took the Mustang with all the memories and a tear ran down her cheek.

You don't have to pack his things, said Nurse Nancy, who saw Elizabeth through the open door and walked over to her.

It's okay, said Elizabeth, snapping out of her thoughts and wiping away the tear. The few things are packed quickly. You need the room for other patients, and Mr. Specter won't be coming back anytime soon.

Nurse Nancy sat down on the bed next to Elizabeth and hugged her. Everything will be fine. He'll do it, he's strong. You are welcome to sleep here.

Thank you, but I prefer to set the room free for the patients. Give me 10 minutes.

You've got all the time in the world, said Nancy and went out into the hallway because that's where the doorbell rang. Elizabeth remained seated on the edge of the bed, her head bowed. *Harvey, I love you. I'm sorry I wasn't a good doctor for you* Tears slowly rolled down her cheeks, one after the other, and Elizabeth couldn't stop them. No one saw her tears here. *Maybe Lilly was right, then and now I didn't deserve you. I'm just not good enough for you. I'm sorry, Harvey.* The little one meanwhile churned through her stomach, interrupting her spiral of thought. Elizabeth rubbed her stomach and tried to calm it down. Finally she got up and walked over to the window front and looked at the sunset over NY. *I will do everything to ensure that your father will get to know you. I swear to you that I will do everything in my power.* The little one calmed down again. *You're going to be a Jacob, a Jacob Alexander.* She was snapped out of her thoughts for a short time, so she found the strength to put Harvey's unpacked things back into the holdall.

——————

Good evening, may I sit down? asked an elderly lady entering the room.

Elizabeth sat alone, cross-legged on the couch in the dimly lit patient lounge. Her dark blue ballerinas were lined up correctly on the floor in front of the couch. "Before Sunrise" was on TV and Elizabeth watched the film deep in thought.

Since Elizabeth didn't answer her, the older lady came over to her and stood next to the couch. This is a beautiful movie.

Elizabeth looked at her confused and answered, Yes. Would you like to sit with me?

Gladly, said the older lady. Now Elizabeth looked at her more closely, she knew this woman quite well.

Ms Fisher? Are you really? asked Elizabeth.

Yes my angel. What are you doing here? asked the older lady. The two hugged.

How long haven't we seen each other? Almost a year and a half? What are you doing here?

Oh my angel, I'm so glad to see you again after such a long time. Healthy and happy.

I look forward to seeing you again. Elizabeth smiled at her.

Nice to see you smile. A lot has happened since we last saw each other, said Ms. Fisher, meaning Elizabeth's big belly. At the last time you wanted to make a trip to Europe.