Deadly songbird - Gotham - Oswald x Reader

Oswald watched on, as the club's resident beautiful songstress swayed in time with the music. He had to admit that there was something about her. Something that beguiled and intrigued him. He had seen many singers. Many beautiful women that would pass through his club. Yet none, not a one could come close to the woman who was singing her heart out on the stage. Not one had ever caught his attention like she had on the evening she had walked into his life all that time ago.

He could still remember how he had been sitting in his office all day, listening to singer after singer audition, in hopes that they could be the next one to become associated with the infamous Gotham nightspot. Yet as the sun had begun to sink behind the city's dark buildings, Oswald had given up hope. Sure, that not a single one of them had been right. That not one was what he was looking for. That not one that would fit in perfectly with his aesthetic. But, just as he was about to give up hope, there had been a knock on the door. Or should that be a gentle tap. The former umbrella boy sighing as he had retaken his seat. Reluctantly bidding his visitor to enter. His eyes widening. His mouth drying. as a face had appeared. A face that instantly made Oswald believe in angels. A nervous smile slowly pulling at her lips, as she had moved further into the room. His heart pounding uncontrollably, as she had walked over to his desk. The movement of her body, almost hypnotic. And then, then she had spoken. The sound of that alone, had been like the sweetest music. Oswald swallowing heavily at the lump that had instantly formed in his throat, as she had then begun to sing for him. Each and every note, plucking at the strings of his heart. Each and every note caressing his heated skin like a lover's fingertips. The club owner standing and applauding as she had finished. Unable to stop himself from smiling, as she had blushed at his praise.

And from that moment, she had been a constant in the club. Oswald, with every meeting, finding himself more and more lost in her. Lost in the thought of her. Never sure how a woman, that was as sweet and kind as she was, could exist in the darkest of cities. Oswald sometimes fearing that she would be swallowed whole by Gotham's wickedness. Yet she hadn't. His songbird proving herself to be much stronger than he might think. Seeming instead to be able to bend others to her will. Her voice, demeanour and manner drawing people to her, just like she had him. As if it were impossible for anyone to do her any ill.

As her latest song finished, Oswald couldn't help but smile, as she made her way over to where he sat. The singer taking a seat on the stool next to him at the bar.

"A little quiet tonight, Mister Cobblepot." She remarked, as she nodded in thanks to the barman for the drink that he had just placed in front of her.

"Yes, my dear, it would appear so. But I doubt that that has anything to do with you, (Y/n)........." Oswald replied with a soft chuckle, as he looked over the few patrons that had braved the terrible weather outside, before turning back to look at her. Oswald smiling softly, as he watched her pull off one of her high stiletto heeled shoes, before her fingers rubbed at her sore foot.

"I hope not. That.............." (Y/n) suddenly stopping, as a large man came up behind her boss and placed a knife at his throat.

"I'd be very quiet if I were you, beautiful. I don't mind killing Penguin right in front of ya. But I've been told ta take him away and make it really painful before I finish him off............" The man began. Smiling wickedly at the songbird, as she stared at him wide eyed.

"I must admit, fa a little limping freak, ya have an eye fa the ladies, Penguin. She is quite beautiful. Tell me, have ya told her how ya feel about her yet? No, of course ya haven't. Not got enough balls fa that, have ya? Perhaps........perhaps I should tell her............?" The man chuckled creepily. Before moving just enough so that he could speak to (Y/n) quietly.

"Ya see, sweetheart, what Cobblepot here can't tell ya, is that he's fallen for ya. Everyone knows about it. They've all seen tha way he looks at ya, and ta be honest, you were the one that my boss, Mister Galavan, wanted ta send me ta kill at first. But that wouldn't have eradicated his little problem. This way, he gets ta send old Penguin here, ta his grave knowing that he was too much of a coward ta tell ya that he cares. Sad ain't it.................?" The large man explained. His hideous grin growing wider, as he saw the shock in (Y/n)'s eyes.

"Mister Cobb...........Oswald.........is that true?" (Y/n) asked in disbelief. Oswald only able to give her a soft smile in reply.

"Of course, its true. Its all around the city. That the limping little upstart of an umbrella boy is in love with the beautiful woman that sings every night in his club. And the only one that doesn't seem ta know........is you, darlin." The assassin interjected. With yet another eerie chuckle. The sound turning into a haunting gurgle, as (Y/n) jumped from her stool and thrust the point of her stiletto heel into the man's throat. The assassin letting go of the blade that he had been holding to kingpin's neck. His eyes growing wide as he looked into the singer's hatred filled eyes, before he dropped unceremoniously to the floor. Oswald having to admit that he was more than a little taken aback by the night's events, as he looked down at the now dead man. Sure, that one or two of the men that had been hired to protect him, might just lose more than their jobs for allowing Galavan's man into his club, never mind got close enough to him that he could hold a knife to his throat.

"(Y/n)...........(Y/n)!? Are you alright...........?" Oswald asked, as he gently placed his hand on her arm.

"Yes, Mister Cobblepot. I'm fine. He should have learned not to mess with a girl that has a stiletto in her hand and has just been told the man that she cares about, is in love with her. It was never going to end well for him." (Y/n) replied, as she offered Oswald her arm.

"Now, what say you and I go and discuss what he just mentioned. I would really prefer to hear it from you, than him." The singer continued. Her heart skipping a beat, as Oswald took her arm and led her to his office.

"It would be my pleasure, my deadly songbird. It would be my pleasure..........."