The Elemental - The Witcher - Geralt x Reader

All eyes turned to look at Geralt and Jaskier as they walked into the tavern; Geralt had taken on a job, and a tavern always seemed like the best place to start.

"You know, just one time I would like to walk into one of these places, and everyone would just ignore us." Jaskier whispered, as Geralt stood, scanning the mass of villagers. His yellow eyes finally falling on a figure that sat at the very back of the tavern, dressed head to toe in black, a large hood conveniently covering any facial features.

"What do ya want Witcher? Ain't no one fa ya ta fight round ere. And even if there were, ain't no one got tha gold ta pay ya." A large man called out, as he stood up from his table.

A murmur went through the patrons, Geralt's eyes never leaving the figure as a pale delicate hand, reached out from under the black cloak that clothed it and took hold of a glass of wine that sat in front of them.

"That's not what we've been told. I've been hired to kill a witch." Geralt declared, watching as the patrons looked at one another nervously. Some of them inadvertently looking over at the figure dressed in black.

"Witch? Who told ya that me dear?" An elderly woman asked from behind the bar.

"We ain't had a witch round these parts since forever, ain't that right Matthew?" The woman stated, looking over at the old man that was collecting empty tankards from the tables.

"Ay love, ain't been no witches round these parts since....... well since I were a lad." The old man agreed with a smile, as he carried his full tray back to the bar.

"Who told ya there were a witch anyway?" Another man called out, as he looked around the other men he was drinking with.

"I have been hired by the lord, he's the one that tells me that you are plagued by a witch." Geralt told the man, finally making his way to the bar, closely followed by Jaskier.

"Ya don't want to listen ta that crazy old coot." The woman behind the bar chuckled, handing Geralt and Jaskier two drinks.

"That old man lost his mind a long time ago." She continued, as she took a cloth and began to clean the stack of dirty glasses.

"Well, that crazy old coot has offered me a large amount of gold to kill a witch by the name of (Y/n). Sounds a little strange that he should be able to give me a name and everything; don't you think? And he was quite adamant that I would find her in the village." Geralt told the woman, his eyes darting back to the figure, as another murmur went around the tavern.

"(Y/n)? Ah! Well that explains it." Yet another man called out, as a collective laugh rippled through the establishment.

"Old man lost his mind and his senses when the poor lass turned down his advances." The barmaid explained, as Geralt downed his drink. His eyes focusing on the figure that a number of the patrons now seemed to be surrounding protectively.

"Look Witcher, (Y/n) was no witch, she was the furthest thing from it; she was a healer, and she watched over the people and the village; and that old man in the big house took a likin to er." The landlord began to explain, handing Geralt another drink.

"Dirty old man was old enough to be er grandfather." The old woman added, only to be hushed by her husband.

"The lord made her a proposition, and when she rightly turned him down, he took against er. Started claimin that she was a witch. That she was causin all manner of problems; he even claimed that she put a curse on him." The man explained, as he looked out at his patrons.

"Well can I at least meet this (Y/n) so that I can make sure that your story is true?" Geralt asked, noticing as the face of the landlord seemed to fall into a strange sad expression.