Sister - Gladiator - Commodus x Reader

The sound of thunder ripped through the bed chamber startling her from her sleep; the blinding flash of lightening causing her to push herself deeper into the mattress and pull the covers over her head. She didn't hear the pitter patter of his feet, so she squealed when she felt the bed dip by her side and an arm bring her to him. She sniffed loudly trying to control her tears, rubbing her eyes she finally looked up to find the green eyes of her older brother which were filled with as much fear as hers. She held onto him tight, nuzzling her face into his neck.

"Commodus, where were you? You weren't here." She sniffed and pushed her head into his chest and wrapped her legs around his so that he could not leave her again. Commodus reached up his hand and combed his fingers through her hair.

"I'm sorry (Y/n), I couldn't sleep; I ran back to you as soon as the thunder began."

"Do you think Jupiter hates us Commodus?" She asked as another clap of thunder rang through the palace causing Commodus to grip on to his sister tighter.

"Jupiter could never hate us (Y/n), I am to be Caesar one day, and you will be my empress." The innocent boy told her.

"But why then does he send his wrath when he must know that it scares us so?" The terrified young girl asked her brother, who gently rubbed her back, trying to allay his fears just as much as hers.

"I think Jupiter is angry at father for trying to keep us apart (Y/n); Jupiter rules the heavens with his sister Juno, as I will rule the Roman Empire with you."

"I love you Commodus." The little girl whispered as she slowly drifted off to sleep listening to his heartbeat.

"I love you too my empress." Commodus replied as he too slipped into the arms of Somnia.

Their father had grown concerned by relationship between (Y/n) and Commodus over the years, knowing the two young siblings would spend the nights together in her bed being found every morning by the slaves, entwined happily in each other's arms. Despite protests from the young pair (Y/n) had been sent to the outer reaches of the empire by their father to be raised and educated by a series of royal families each instilling in her the true meaning of the Roman Empire and the Pax Romana. She had grown up strong, brave, beautiful and intelligent, drawing countless admirers wherever she went; but despite the many offers of marriage the young woman wanted only one thing, to return to Rome to see her Commodus.

(Y/n) had received news of her father's passing, and she was immediately recalled to Rome by the new Emperor, the idea filling the young woman with a happiness she hadn't felt since her departure from the capital so many years before.

After many weeks of travel (Y/n) finally found herself outside the great city at the centre of the empire, surrounded by her large entourage of bodyguards and ladies' maids; a strange mix of every creed and colour that the empire had to offer, ensuring that the beautiful girl stood out even more from her surroundings.

The group came to a stop as a patrol from behind the city walls rode out causing the guards to form around their mistress.

"All is well Atticus." She said as she rode over to the large African man that commanded her guard.

"It is the praetorian guard sent by my brother to escort us into the city." The large man relaxed as she placed her hand gently on his arm.

"We have no need to fear here Atticus."

"Your Highness?" A man called as the escort drew up to the party.

She nodded. "You have been sent by the Emperor?"

The praetorians grew closer, bringing their horses right in front of her, looking at the large man that was now by her side.

"Yes, your highness. The Emperor said to make sure that you were protected, we are to escort you to the palace. The Emperor is quite anxious to see you."