Chapter 39

The next weekend was the perfect excuse to leave Tom alone with the books. She had plans with the girls in Hogsmeade to shop dresses and accessories for the ball. As usual, Alice had everything planned.

It was 10AM when Hermione had eaten her breakfast and changed into appropriate clothing for their outing. Tom was fixing some last minute touches on his transfiguration homework in the common room.

"Hey, erm... I'm just going to leave these here... and you could... you know, read them... when I'm away." she mumbled a little awkwardly.

Tom shot a quick glance on the books before frowning at her.

"What are these?" he asked and grabbed one of them.

They didn't have any title, she had worked her ass off to get her hands on them. The contents were a step guide for how to access your soul from the horcruxes, as well as vivid pictures of how it's done. Truthfully, she had been sick when reading them. It was best he had the day for himself to read and mull things over.

"They're uh... the books we talked about... before..." she said, trying to make herself sound like it wasn't a big deal.

Tom froze and gave the book in his hand a disgusted look. Hermione drew a deep breath and closed her eyes, preparing herself for the outburst that was going to come.

"Thank you. I'll read them." came a soft voice.

She opened her eyes, confused. Tom smiled faintly before continuing with his essay.

Thankful for how easy the confrontation had gone, she hurried out of the common room; not wanting to press her luck.

The girls had chosen to walk to Hogsmeade instead of taking the carriages. Prudence was fixated upon the newest trend that said women should walk at least 30 minutes a day to keep their beauty. Hermione had rolled her eyes upon hearing that, gaining a nasty glare from Prudence.

"We must all do our best to find ourselves a husband, even you 'mione!" she had argued determinedly.

It didn't go unnoticed that Millicent and Alice had giggled tremendously upon hearing that. Prudence naturally thought they were mocking Hermione for her lack of care, but Hermione knew better. They were still very much definite on their speculation that Riddle loved her.

Truthfully, she hoped so too. Because if he did love her, he would take back his soul for her. If he did love her, she could let herself daydream about the future, about the things she wished was in store for them. If he did love her, she could finally confess that she loved him too.

She had been telling herself that the reason she wanted Tom to merge with the pieces of his soul was solely to save the future from agony and pain. But deep down, she knew it was because she wanted him to be whole for her. So they could get a chance for a future together. A future that contained marriage, babies and unconditional love. Things he could never give her if he weren't whole. It was utterly selfish, and something she wished for more than she'd ever admit.

Hermione didn't know what she'd do if he refused. She had said that she would walk away, ignore him and never be with him again. But could she? Could she turn her back towards the one man that had made her feel so alive? Made her love and care for him? How much could she accept for him? Where was her limit? She didn't know anymore. Had anyone asked her a few months ago, it would have been vividly clear. Now however...

"Hey Hermione! Are you there?" laughed Alice and waved a hand in front of her face.

"Oh! Sorry guys. I was just... away in a thought."

She had barely noticed they had entered the dress shop, nor that the other girls had begun trying dresses.

"No worries. What do you think of this dress though?" asked Millicent and showed off a beautiful purple gown.