Chapter 31

It was Wednesday and they had already completed two days of heavy exams. Hermione was fairly certain that she'd done good on them, but it was always a possibility that it wouldn't be enough. She had gone over the answers with her girlfriends on many occasions, happy that they felt the need to do so as well and wouldn't just groan at her like Harry and Ron had done. Truthfully, in many aspects, she found herself more a Ravenclaw this time around than a Gryffindor.

In the afternoon they had their last exam for the day; charms. Hermione was confident in her abilities, but she really wanted to get the extra credit in all of her classes, and this one she had been told was especially hard. She had answered all of the questions as thoroughly as she could, writing down far more than was necessary. It was rather easy questions she thought. Or maybe it was the fact that she always studied the theory behind the spells they were to perform before she attempted them. Nevertheless, she knew exactly what to answer at every given question.

Glancing around the hall she noticed she was by far alone in her feelings, even Millicent looked ready to cry next to her. The girl in question felt eyes on her and quickly met her gaze, Hermione shot her one of her most encouraging smiles and was met with a grimace. Something told her they'd stay up far too long discussing these answers.

When it finally was time for the practical exam, Hermione was called upon first. The teachers had decided not to do things in alphabetical order this time around, to 'whip things up a little'. She didn't mind, but the other students looked terrified to be called upon at any given moment.

She took a deep breath and climbed up on the podium where she was met with a smiling Professor Utilis along with two others she did not know. She smiled warmly back and positioned herself at the center, awaiting further instructions.

"Miss Bernard, if you'd please demonstrate the water-making spell." Utilis said as she handed Hermione a cup.

She took the extended cup and cleared her throat.

"Aguamenti." she said and pointed her wand to the cup which filled with clear water at once.

"Well done. Now, turn this vinegar into wine." Professor Utilis said and extended her another cup which Hermione took at once.

"Acetum ad vinum." she said and the yellow-ish liquid turned a purplish kind of red.

"Very well done, Miss Bernard. Do you wish to attempt the extra credit?"

"Of course." Hermione almost scoffed which only gained her a smile in return.

"If you please, would you levitate this feather non verbally?"

Hermione couldn't help but to smile smugly. This was too easy.

With a swish and flick of her wand she made the feather levitate.

"Now, would you summon it?"

Hermione easily made the feather move into her extended hand. She was met with applause. Professor Utilis gave her a praising smile.

"Could you perhaps change its color as well?" she asked.

"Mrs. Utilis, that's not in the curriculum of the extra credit." piped the old man next to her professor up.

"Well, give the girl a shot, would you?" scoffed Utilis and gave Hermione an encouraging smile.

With a flick of her wand she turned the white feather a shimmering blue to represent her house, this gained a couple of 'oh's and 'wow's from around the hall. Even the grumpy old man took off his glasses to examine her spellwork more closely.

"Merlin's beard. You truly are a remarkable young lady!" said the woman next to Utilis and beamed at Hermione warmly.

"Thank you." she answered shyly.