Chapter 37

August 31th had come in what felt like a heartbeat. Hermione didn't really know how she felt about everyone coming back tomorrow. She had already gotten used to having the teachers back considering they had been there for little more than a week now. And of course it'd be nice to be around your friends again. But with them came other, more intolerant people. Such as Malfoy.

Truth be told, Hermione hadn't really worked through everything that had happened last year, too wrapped up in whatever the situation with Tom was. And that was another headache for itself. Sure, she liked being around him, enjoyed his touch and physical as well as mental attributes. And still she was scared, because a small voice in her head kept reminding her that he already had two horcruxes. And he knew that she knew. And they hadn't really talked about it.

Today just wasn't the day for them to have the talk either, she just wanted to enjoy his company for what little time alone they had left. Something told her a lot was about to change this year. She wanted to end their summer together on a fun note, thinking she had just the right kind of idea.

"Hey Tom! You haven't shown me the Slytherin common room. You've seen Ravenclaw's and Gryffindor's, it's only fair that you show me yours."

Tom had told her about carrying her back to her bed that evening when she had a little too much firewhiskey. It only made her like him more.

"Oh sure, I'll take you down to the dungeons." he said flirtatious, and eyed her up and down.

"Not like that you creep! I just want to see the common room!" she laughed and swatted him on the shoulder.

"Well, come along then, princess." he said as he joined in on the laughter.

Tom took her hand and led the way down to the dungeons. They stopped in front of a wall of stone. Hermione frowned and side-glanced at him.

"Um. Okay. Nice wall. Shall we continue?"

"No silly. This is the entrance. Anguis."

"Oh..." she said sheepishly.

The stonewall moved to the side and a long hallway came forth. Tom took her hand again and led her down into the darkness. Just when she was about to think he had taken her anywhere but the Slytherin common room to do god knows what, lights came to sight.

It was a dungeon room that had stone for walls as well as the ceiling. It had a green hue to it, both from the lamps and the black lake that was visible from the windows. A big picture of a serpent could be seen as well.

"Subtle. I would have never guessed this was the Slytherin common room." Hermione said sarcastically.

Tom simply laughed and hugged her from behind.

"Welcome to my home." he whispered in her ear. "This is where I grew up. This is home."

Hermione turned to face him on instinct, having heard the emotion in his voice. He looked incredibly calm, and happy. Almost content, just being here. She raised a hand and caressed his cheek, he immediately leaned into her touch.

"It's beautiful."

Tom smiled and kissed her hand. In a heartbeat his facial expression was changed, now more one of mischiefs.

"So, about taking you to my dungeons..." he said, eying her up and down again.

Hermione blushed and looked down at herself. She was wearing a normal summer dress, it ended just above her knee and was white with yellow sunflowers on it. It wasn't anything to lose your head over, was it?

"What about it?" she said, and squared her chin up to face him as a challenge.

Something glittered in his eyes before he pulled her even closer against himself.