The Plan

MAKE SURE TO VOTE FOR THIS CHAPTER!

-

                "Would you like a gummy worm?" I offered, popping a red and blue one into my mouth. They were my favorite candy, but I only ate the sour red and blue ones.

"Sure," Zayn laughed, sticking his hand in the bag and pulled a few out. He pulled one in half and ate it.

"You know what this reminds me of?" I ask, not really waiting for him to say what. "In Harry Potter when him and Ron are on the train and have all these sweets surrounding them," I said, eating a skittle.

"Did you ever read the books?" Zayn asked, his facing lighting up at the talk of Harry Potter.

"Of course I have," I replied, glancing out the window at the rolling hills fly by. The sun hung low in the sky, slowly rising higher and higher. It was the early morning and the train was silent.

"What's your favorite book?" He questioned eagerly, biting into a twix.

"Hm, either The Deathly Hallows or The Order of the Phoenix," I gushed, getting excited. A shadowed figure walked by our door. "Yours?"

"I think I'd have to say The Halfblood Prince," Zayn replied after thinking for a moment.

The conversation slowly died down and became silent. We both were staring out the window, the sun higher in the sky, glowing like a yellow orb. Outside the trees were still striped from their leaves since it was the middle of winter.

I was getting sick of cold weather, literally. My nose was stuffy and my head throbbed but I didn't let that damper my mood. Zayn seemed to be okay, even though he would be going home to a mourning family and a funeral. His grandmother had passed away last night while we were on the train.

I could see the sadness written on his face now. He didn't have to be crying or frowning to show his mood; his eyes said it all. I have a strong feeling that they had a close relationship.

"Zayn, are you okay?" I asked, tearing my eyes away from the window and to him. "Do you wanna talk about it? It's not good to hold stuff in."

"No," he choked out, "I guess I'm not okay."

"Tell me what's on your mind, hun," I tell him, scooting to the edge of my seat to place a comforting hand on his knee. Small gestures like that always make me feel better.

"I never got to say a proper good-bye to her," he whispered, his head hanging down.

"Zayn, she knows your couldn't have gotten there. She would understand, she loves you," I comforted him quietly, looking deep into his eyes. I'm not very good at comforting people, but I try my best.

"She was there at my audition," he said quietly, looking up at me with watery eyes. "She was by biggest supporter, she was so proud of me. Now she's gone."

"She is still proud of you, babe. She will still be with you, just in spirit," I say quietly.

"You sound just like her," he laughed, wiping a single tear from his cheek.

"Then that's a sign. Maybe you don't believe in them, but I do," I admitted. "When my Nana died, her wedding song came on the radio after her funeral when everyone was crying. That was a sign that she was okay," I whisper.

"Maybe," he sighed. Once again we both became quiet and I leaned back in my seat and took my hand from his knee. 

A sudden burst of exhaustion overcame my body, making me extremely tired. I could hear uneven breathing and hiccups coming from Zayn, but I let him be. I would think he wants his space for now.