Around the World

MAKE SURE TO VOTE FOR THIS CHAPTER

-

                "Yeah mom, London is absolutely breathtaking. There is so much to see around here, it's hard to not get overwhelmed sometimes," I explained to my mother back home in the U.S. as I wandered down various streets until stopping upon a Starbucks. A smile spread across my face as I paused in front of the window and read the green sign.

"Well that's fantastic, honey, but don't have too much fun. I understand that the drinking age is only eighteen there and I don't want you doing anything wild. Technically, you are an adult and can do whatever and can legally drink there, just don't get into too much trouble, okay? Mom doesn't want to fly over to bail you out of jail or something," she laughed. "I miss you..." my mother whispered into the phone, her tone of voice sounded tired and overworked, along with stressed.

"Mother, you know I miss you too, but I'm going to be away for a bit," I sighed. "But I'm still going to call you every day, of course. And send letters with tons of pictures, you know," I tried to reassure myself more then worried mother.

"I'm just worried about my baby," she exhaled deeply. "You were my baby and now I'm all alone back home.." my mother went on as I entered a shop that was familiar to me from back home.

"Stop, you are going to get me all flustered and upset while I'm in public," I laughed, biting on my lip as I read over the menu board that hung behind the counter with everything written in pristine handwriting with white chalk. "Hold on mom," I spoke, moving my phone from my face so I could order, my hand over the speaker thing. "Can I have a medium tea with milk and two sugars?"

A woman with grey eyes and dark brown hair pulled into a ponytail nodded, giving me a cheery smile before turning away to get my drink. "I'm back, mom. I was just ordering some tea to calm my nerves."

"Nerves? Why, what's happened to make you jittery? And why would you drink tea, that will make it worse," my mother scolded.

"Mom, it's not coffee, it's just tea. I drink it all the time. Besides I'm just terrified I'll get lost or something and just never find my way back to my hotel or get snatched or just anything, but my thoughts are always so far-fetched. Like you say all the time, my imagination has no limits," I chuckled into the phone as I stood to the side waiting for my order.

"Yes, you do have quite the imagination," Mother teased, letting out another sigh. "You won't get lost as long as you remember the name of your hotel and the street it's on. All you have to do is ask around and you'll be okay," she reassured me.

"Thanks," I sighed, smiling at the girl who pushed my cup with my name written on the side to me over the counter. After giving her a nod of thanks I took a seat at an empty table and took a long sip of the boiling liquid, feeling it instantly warm up my whole body and my senses coming more back to life. Tea always reminded me of home, I'd have a cup with my mother and we'd chat about our plans for the day every morning.

"I bet it's not as good as mine," Mom laughed. I could just picture her smile; her white, straight teeth and the lines that formed around her mouth or what she calls 'laugh lines' along with the crinkles she gets at the ends of her eyes.

"Nothing can ever compete to your cooking, baking, and your tea making," I sighed, thinking of back home even more, but this is what I wanted to do; travel the world.

"Well thank you, Blake. Remember you can come home anytime to have some yourself," she joked. "Sorry honey, I have to run. Spencer is coming over to take me to a movie, I love you."

"Ew, no more details please. And I love you too, bye mom," I replied before setting down my phone on the table and letting out another sigh. Maybe I can call Brady, only if he isn't at work. I grabbed my phone again from the table top and dialed in his number, bringing it up to my hear as I listened to the ringing.